• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to Stick It

Otis

I spent an afternoon last Thursday at La Jolla Independent, where Ben helped me pick out a whole new set of stickers for Otis. Thanks, Ben - La Jolla Independent is always helpful, and always fun to visit.

Ben also popped the hood on an 02 so that I could snap some pictures of the proper place to stick the stickers. According to Ben, all of these locations are proper for a '71, except for the fuse sticker, which should go on the underside of the hood.

And so, here are the photos that I snapped. Hope they are helpful. Before we stick, however, if someone wants to chime in with an alternative view on placement, now's the time.

post-1769-13667655958285_thumb.jpg

post-1769-1366765596317_thumb.jpg

post-1769-13667655967064_thumb.jpg

post-1769-13667655970952_thumb.jpg

post-1769-13667655975021_thumb.jpg

Wow, with all those nice new stickers why not give BLUNT a call and get yourself a new VIN plate. They are a spot-on match to the original.

Otis took those pix of a car in La Jolla. That is not his VIN plate.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Hmmm!

Regarding your pics, and assuming you have a '71 6 Fuse car.

The Oil Sticker should be at the top LH corner of the hood.

The Fuse Sticker should be where the Oil Sticker is (by wiper motor) and half german-half English.

The Tyre Sticker should be to the LH side of the Fuse Box (6 Fuse type).

There should be a Capacity Sticker above the Emissions Sticker.

The Battery Sticker should be turned 90 to match the Coolant Sticker. The positions (front-back) of these two Stickers often changes.

This is my best guestimate after going through heaps of pics. I was trying to do an ultimate Sticker position for the various years, but have yet to finish.

post-1769-13667656056303_thumb.jpg

post-1769-13667656057353_thumb.jpg

post-1769-13667656058441_thumb.jpg

post-1769-13667656060375_thumb.jpg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Thanks, 02Les. I did try the search function before posting this up, but didn't find the ultimate/definitive sticker post. I also leafed through my fix-it manual and similarly did not find all of the answers. A definitive thread post would be great.

I guess I should have provided a list of the stickers that Ben provided; here it goes, in no particular order:

(1) Air Pressure of Tires (smaller sticker)

(2) Air Pressure of Tires (larger sticker)

(3) Cooling System Contains Long-Life Anti-Freeze Coolant

(4) AuBenlackerierung-BMW colorado

(5) Bremsgerat T51 3.6152-0701.4 Alfred Teves GMBH Frankfurt/M.

(6) Fuses (12)

(7) Achtung! (Attention! For safety and warranty) (big orange "genuine parts" sticker)

(8) Automotive air conditioner (red "max-charge" sticker)

(9) "Before charging the battery always disconnect the battery ground cable"

(10) Engine Oil Services (large black sticker)

Am I missing anything? I hope not.

02Scott76 - thanks for the suggestion. Now that you mention it, OTIS's VIN Plate does look a bit worse for wear. Of course, I'm going to have to change it to an "Orange TI Special (OTIS) Version" VIN Plate, if BLUNT will do it.

post-1769-13667656061954_thumb.jpg

Otis,

The Achtung sticker did not appear until late '73 with the '74 models.

The Bremsgerat & Air Conditioning ones I have never seen/noticed on a car.

I think your car is a '71 12 fuse car (trying to remember from my V@V 2009 visit) then the larger Tyre pressure sticker would be above the Oil Pressure Sticker on the Hood (sometimes to the right, by usually above).

The smaller Capacity-Tyre Sticker is above the Emission Sticker.

Not sure when they changed, but I believe the Colour Sticker font was italic through '71, but, no one that I know of reproduces the italic ones.

As I noted in my earlier post, the Battery & Coolant Stickers are sometimes the other way around (no rhyme, no reason).

Edit: just looked closer at your stickers, the smaller Tyre sticker (I believe) is for a 6 fuse car, and the larger for a 12 fuse car.

post-1769-13667656065853_thumb.jpg

post-1769-13667656071204_thumb.jpg

post-1769-13667656071913_thumb.jpg

Les

FAQ Member #17

Thanks again, 02Les! This sticker stuff is cool! I think what Ima gonna do is study your pictures, and Ben's car, and then enlist the assistance of Mr. Bill Williams to help me place the stickers. Also, I have a buddy who makes spot-on replica stickers. So when nobody's looking, I'm going to add a couple more stickers - one of them will say "Big Huge Relay Rack" in German, and the other will say "Actung - Save the Kitties," also in all-German. And maybe some other sticker phrases as well. For example, my friend made a Jesse Jane sticker to go in my back window - good stuff. I have to put in a "Powered by BLUNT" sticker, and a "I (heart) Scott Sturdy" bumper sticker ... lots to do, lots to do.

post-1769-13667656097884_thumb.jpg

I don't remember seeing all those y's and u's before.

;-)

Ray

Otis,

The Achtung sticker did not appear until late '73 with the '74 models.

The Bremsgerat & Air Conditioning ones I have never seen/noticed on a car.

I think your car is a '71 12 fuse car (trying to remember from my V@V 2009 visit) then the larger Tyre pressure sticker would be above the Oil Pressure Sticker on the Hood (sometimes to the right, by usually above).

The smaller Capacity-Tyre Sticker is above the Emission Sticker.

Not sure when they changed, but I believe the Colour Sticker font was italic through '71, but, no one that I know of reproduces the italic ones.

As I noted in my earlier post, the Battery & Coolant Stickers are sometimes the other way around (no rhyme, no reason).

Edit: just looked closer at your stickers, the smaller Tyre sticker (I believe) is for a 6 fuse car, and the larger for a 12 fuse car.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

"Judder when taking up speed..."

;-)

Ray

Really Ray?

I should start referring to Bonnets, Boots, Sills and Wings. he he

Two Countries separated by a common language.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I think the concensus was reached here on the FAQ several years ago- The correct sticker placement for your car depends on if Hans or Heinz or Helga placed the stickers that day. Helga is shorter and could not reach very far. Hans has fat fingers and couldn't do the detail work. Heinz did the best work of the three, but would have a bit too much at lunch and his afternoon work would suffer.

Has anyone here ever seen two cars with exactly the same placement for stickers?

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I think the concensus was reached here on the FAQ several years ago- The correct sticker placement for your car depends on if Hans or Heinz or Helga placed the stickers that day. Helga is shorter and could not reach very far. Hans has fat fingers and couldn't do the detail work. Heinz did the best work of the three, but would have a bit too much at lunch and his afternoon work would suffer.

Has anyone here ever seen two cars with exactly the same placement for stickers?

Sticker placement for the various years was pretty consistent. The main exception is the Battery and Coolant stickers that often swapped positions.

Les

FAQ Member #17

Part of the problem is dealing with 40 year old cars. Hoods get swapped, stickers get removed. Sometimes tough to know exactly what was original.

At least this forced me to document all the locations for the stickers on my E30M3. The only tough part there was tracking down the original version of the stickers.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Part of the problem is dealing with 40 year old cars. Hoods get swapped, stickers get removed. Sometimes tough to know exactly what was original.

I agree entirely, plus refurbished/restored cars re-entering.

I have a heap of photos and, basically, started going through them to see where stickers were positioned. My theory was/is, if I made a data base the most likely placement would become clear.

Also, the change of sticker style (year) would become clearer.

Les

FAQ Member #17