• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

engine VIN number help

naomi02

Hey guys, I have a '74 that I'm trying to get a new carburetor for, and trying to size by my engine. Looks like from the maintenance records that the engine was replaced in '93 with a "RMFD SHORT ENGINE". (of course this record also lists my car as a '73 ti). The VIN on the engine block is 0884A013 (first zero is kinda faded). Does anyone know how to determine engine size / type based on this?

Thanks,

John

I tried emailing Germany to find out what the code on my factory rebuilt meant and this is what I got back:

Unfortunately there are no records for these engine in our archives anymore. Therefore we are unable to help you.

Yours sincerely, Andreas Harz

Look up under the car under the exhaust manifold, the block should have a 2.0 and a date casting. My engine was based on a 78 320i block. The heads from this era all seem to be E12s and cast in 1987.

I have a thread from a while back where I documented my engine for reference, here it is:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,348734/

For your carb, I'd just put on whatever you like, Weber 32/36 is a popular upgrade at about $200 (manual choke) I have a spare intake manifold already prepped for a 32/36 that I'd be willing to sell.

--> 1968 2002 <--