• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Born Again Bimmer article Sept 81 Roundel

jgerock

By far, this is one of the most extensive 2002-based articles I have ran across in the older Roundels passed to me (this issue courtesy of Joel Mack in MI).

This article by former Club Executive Director Jonathan Katz details his '74tii as it is "born again" after a horrific accident using another donor car (Polaris '74tii). The mechanical work was done by Beaconwood Motors in Watertown, MA, body work by Dick's Auto Body (also in MA) and pictures are by Roundel Art Director Yale Rachlin.

Make sure to read thru the entire article then browse the parts list (with prices!). I found a small follow-up in another Roundel where club members were astonished someone would spend this kind of money to restore a 2002 (unfortunately I don't have that issue anymore).

Cover.jpg

Bornagainintro.jpg

page10.jpg

page11.jpg

page12.jpg

page14.jpg

page15.jpg

page18-1.jpg

page20.jpg

page21.jpg

page22.jpg

page24.jpg

page25.jpg

page26.jpg

page27.jpg

page28.jpg

page30.jpg

page31.jpg

page32.jpg

page34.jpg

page36.jpg

page37.jpg

This is the back cover, how appropriate.

BeaconwoodMotorsrearcoverMarch1981.jpg

[/i][/b]

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I have been waiting to re read this article for 30 years! This was the first Roundel I got after I joined the cca. Very cool, and ultimately the inspiration for my own tii (many years later; at the time I had a 74 2002), down to the ADS powerplate and 300i speakers I currently have in the tii.

Another article around that same time period was a much more modified tii, but I seem to remember it was also called "born again bimmer" or something close to it. I would really love to see that article again as well, if anyone has a scan?

Thanks Jim,

Andy74tii

FAQ Member #126

Wonder where the car is now and what condition it's in.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Great article, interesting to see what the norm was for things like modified braking systems. Oversized rear drums was an upgrade with no change to the front!. Not sure what you gain there (except a proportioning valve) and some bragging rights.

I'd be curious what tricks they used to tune that tii for that 301 cam. The thought now is anything beyond stock or a mild cam is "impossible" to tune for.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

Well, actually it was only a 7 year old car, not 17 ....

Which brings up a good point. When I bought my '74 in 1980, it looked like it had been through a couple of wars. It was pretty common to see the first owners of these cars frequently push them really hard with little maintenance. First, I don't think they were thought of as particularly collectible, and also in a lot of cases, these were seen as being a cheaper way to get into a german car, so they appealed to a lot of folks who may not necessarily have had the means to properly maintain them.

Also, to be frank, I remember seeing a lot of these in my college parking lot, and I remember my roommate's girlfriend received one one Christmas as a present, with a bow wrapped on it and everything. I can assure you she never checked the oil ... don't forget, this was the seventies after all .....

FAQ Member #126

Looks like a "how to" guide for the beast currently in my garage. Anyone know where I can find a new front clip to get it started?

110911_3027.jpg

At least Molly is roadworthy so I can feed my habit.

100811_2985.jpg

Mike

76 Malaga (Molly)

Mods:

Weber

Recaro

Eibach

Bilstein

Panasport

Ansi

Parker

Ireland Eng.

'72 Tii Project

Looks like a "how to" guide for the beast currently in my garage. Anyone know where I can find a new front clip to get it started?

drop me an e-mail...

------------------------

why list 'em...they're all projects anyways!

110911_3027.jpg

At least Molly is roadworthy so I can feed my habit.

100811_2985.jpg

Please tell us the VIN of your Agave 72tii..

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Wonder where the car is now and what condition it's in.

I think this car is VIN 2780382, if so, it was sold on Ebay Jul '11 for around $12k.

Not sure if the VIN is the original Verona car or the donor Polaris car.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

• 2 weeks later...

DP: Just learned that hotmail accounts are not working through the FAQ. I sent you an email about the front nose. email me at mrgesq@hotmail.com. thanks

Mike

76 Malaga (Molly)

Mods:

Weber

Recaro

Eibach

Bilstein

Panasport

Ansi

Parker

Ireland Eng.

'72 Tii Project