• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me uninstall racing tensioner

bnam

PO had installed a mechanical tensioner on my car. What parts do I need and what procedure don I need to follow to revert back to the original?

Can I just unscrew the mechanical tensioner and insert the hydraulic one or do changes have to be made under the lower timing cover?

Thx,

Byas

IMG_1611.jpg

unscrew what you have

screw in the new std. tensioner

order the complete tensioner form any bmwdealer, blunt, maximillion

takes the same time to do as it took me to type this -

really!

02timingchaincutaway.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Don't forget to bleed it properly (long screwdriver down inside the front cover to push it back and forth until no bubbles come out and it gets solid).

On this subject, is it possible to bleed a tensioner properly if the engine is sitting upright on an engine stand (stand is bolted to right side engine moutn location, not bell housing boltholes)? From CD's picture of the engine tilted in place, it looks like gravity would help get th ebubbles out. But on the stand, the tensioner housing points upward and would likely hold an air bubble....

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Don't forget to bleed it properly (long screwdriver down inside the front cover to push it back and forth until no bubbles come out and it gets solid).

Put the screwdriver thru the hole in which the piston and spring go or are you saying to remove the upper front cover and put screwdriver down -- or...

Thx,

Byas

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got to replacing the tensioner. Also replaced the front cover gaskets. But, what's the deal with these holes on the head gasket at the most inopportune spot -- right at the joint?

IMG_2066.jpg

No matter how much I cleaned, there was still some oil coming out of this hole above or seeping out of the joint. So not sure if the new gaskets with some sealant at the corners will hold up.

IMG_2067.jpg

I also checked the valve clearances. I measured (intake/exhaust) the following:

#1: 0.014"/0.003"

#2: 0.010/0.004

#3: 0.005/0.008

#4: 0.008/0.004

I reset them all to 0.006 except #4 intake which I got to 0.007". The problem was that the allen key I was using was hitting the cylhead wall on that #4 intake and I couldn't tighten any further unless I shortened the lower part of the L.

I had to do each valve roughly 3 times to get it right as I finally figured out the right location for the cams.

Byas