• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for info on Inka 72tii w/ flares: 2760076

eastsidebimmer

Hi All, I recently met a really cool gentleman who bought an early production 72tii new, modded it for sport and then (reluctantly now) sold it in 1980. He doesn't know anything about the car's whereabouts and I asked it if it would be OK if I posted some photos and info for the 02 community and he agreed. If anyone has knowledge of tii 2760076 past or present, please chime in below. This was not your ordinary every day tii so I can't imagine that it saw New England commuter duty, but who knows. Enjoy the pics and let me know what you think!

~1972 tii Inka, VIN 2760076

~Purchased new at Lowery Motor Cars in Hartford, CT

~Driver’s sport seat, Borranis, extensive chassis mods, distinctive fender flares.

~Sold to a private individual in Boston, MA: October, 1980

Early VIN

Scan1114-s.jpg

Shortly after purchase:

Scan0547-s.jpg

The Esses at Lime Rock

Scan3686-s.jpg

with VW Rabbit sibling

Scan1104-s.jpg

Borrani Wheels

Scan1109-s.jpg

Super Flares!

Scan1103-s.jpg

Cool driver's seat, spoke wheel and radio

Scan1115-s.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

My tii wasnt a ordinary tii either, but the owner in between allowed others to use it as a daily driver, in New England.

Hopefully that is not the case here.

Was he part of BMWCCA? If it was sold through that, maybe there is a classified ad for it in the Roundel. It would take some digging though.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

From Les' registration....

Last known owner (shell only) was in San Diego, CA. Before that possibly in Irvine, CA in 2004.

Yes, I have it noted as being owned previously by Brian Foster, Irvine. He's probably lurking and could confirm, or otherwise.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I received an email about this discussion and should pipe in.

Yes, I owned what should be 2760076 and sold the shell to Rich Gehring (San Diego) in the mid-1990s.

The car I owned is Verona. I bought the car from a body shop in Orange CA. It was mostly original and had been sitting in California in a garage for a long time. It had original paint, no body work and original interior when I purchased it. I had Bavarian Rennsport put it back in driving condition and drove it to the BMW CCA Oktoberfest in Monterey (1992?). It blew a head gasket when we arrived and I wasn't able to use it for most of the Oktoberfest.

The car underwent some modifications and I was leaning toward building an Alpina A4S clone. However, a number of purists convinced me it was a bad idea and to leave it original. So, I sold the car to Rich and had Bavarian Rennsport build me the A4S clone using the remains of a rusted out 74tii hulk and a beautiful, rust free 74 2002a shell.

I wonder which one of the cars is the original 2760076?

Interesting...

Brian Foster

PS. I miss the forum and have not lurked around here in awhile. I sold the last 2002 6 months ago and have been trying to avoid falling back into the 2002 ownership addiction.

Yes, I owned what should be 2760076 and sold the shell to Rich Gehring (San Diego) in the mid-1990s. The car I owned is Verona.

Thanks very much for chiming in Brian. The pictures I provided above of the Inka car are now 32 years old---it's possible changes were made to get it to Verona but the flares are the big question mark. I suppose 2760076 could have become "deceased" and the VIN applied to another rebuilt car (especially back before everything was computerized) Quite a mystery--if anyone knows the whereabouts or the current owner of this car(s?) Please speak up!

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

I put in a request with the BMW archives group and confirmed that 2760076 was Inka. We may never know the mystery but I'm wondering if it's tii bits and VIN were "reassigned" to the Verona car Brian had sometime in the 80s?

The BMW 2002 tii US VIN 2760076 was manufactured on December 1st, 1971 and delivered on December 6th, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Inka, paint code 022.

--> 1968 2002 <--

I put in a request with the BMW archives group and confirmed that 2760076 was Inka. We may never know the mystery but I'm wondering if it's tii bits and VIN were "reassigned" to the Verona car Brian had sometime in the 80s?

The BMW 2002 tii US VIN 2760076 was manufactured on December 1st, 1971 and delivered on December 6th, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Inka, paint code 022.

I did that too! Wonder what Mr. Harz thinks when he gets requests from several people about the same VIN.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17