• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Mystery Oil

Hey guys, I just rebuilt my engine and valves etc. on my 1970 BMW 2002. Will using Marvel Mystery oil help prolong engine life or ruin it? I have never used products such as this, but some people swear by this stuff. Please advise...

Thanks,

Jack

Marvel mystery oil is more for the older motors. Rebuilt motor best way to prolong its life is to do regular oil changes, keep everything adjusted, and drive it like a grandpa. But it's more fun to drive it like you stole it only knocking a few miles of life off!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Hey guys, I just rebuilt my engine and valves etc. on my 1970 BMW 2002. Will using Marvel Mystery oil help prolong engine life or ruin it? I have never used products such as this, but some people swear by this stuff. Please advise...

Thanks,

Jack

It's nothing more than dextron, so I'm told.

post-2154-13667656149933_thumb.jpg

But what do I know

Guest Anonymous

I have used it on every engine I have ever had. Most people just think it is a "mystery" and that is how it works. NO! MMO works as a high detergent light weight oil. You put it in both the crankcase and the GAS.

The crankcase use cleans up your engines crud by softening it and promoting it to go away with your next oil change.

The MMO in the gas lubricates the upper cylinders and piston rings. Again it softens up the carbon and other deposits. This is especially helpful to maintain the movement of the rings in the ring groves by softening up the carbon that can build up. It is hard to picture but the ring "flops" each time the piston moves up or down and this provides the proper sealing function.

On a cross country trip in a 1969 VW bus I lost power in one cylinder in Louisiana. You can only try to imagine driving 2000 miles in a VW bus with 3 cylinders. Picture cows in a pasture going faster than you are. I made it home and an old farmer who had seen it all suggested I try MMO in the gas and crank case to see if I could revive the cylinder. Two tanks of gas with MMO and the cylinder came back to life. Apparently I got the cylinder hot and the rings stopped "flopping" and lost compression and stopped firing.

The engine ran another 5000 miles before it took it's final breath and prompted my 4th engine replacement in the bus. On #5 now!

Have fun

Okay, I think I understand now. I don't really need to use MMO if I have rebuilt my engine (new pistons) etc. My valves were ticking and and I drove it over to Jeremy at Ireland (stand up guy) and he said it was not upper valves, but bottom something or other. Anyway, he said not to worry about this being a serious issue, however, I would have to deal with the ticking sound... I thought that MMO could help with this. Is there something else like STP that might lube this area up? Again, I dont' want to ruin the engine with these special tonics unless they really work. Thanks.

well - whats the history - is this still the original 1970 motor ?

any overhauls known ?

you still need to pinpoint the source of the noise

and confirm if it's normal noise - or something

you need to be concerned - and possibly something

breaking ?!?!? like a slack timing chain, poor chain tensioner?

damaged chain guide rails?.

So still no for any oil additives. - Thats' ignoring the core problem.

If indeed it's a loud, abnormal noise? a starting point

would be a OIL PRESSURE TEST. Pressure readings during

cold start, hot idle, hot 4500 rpm will tell you if the noise is bearing related.................................. cont

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"