• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking to buy a 2002 - Advice on this one would be great!

iamjustinlyon

Hello Hello!

I have been eyeing the 2002's for years now and want to get in on the fun. My car was just totaled in an accident (not my fault) and I just got the insurance check, so now I have a chance to buy something different! Now's my chance to get a 2002.

I see this one on ebay that looks good, but what do I know???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-BMW-2002-Roundie-5-Speed-/330688505166?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4cfe92254e#ht_690wt_1167

Can you please give me some thoughts and advice?

Would it be smart to drive this from FL to CA??

I live in CA and am in the hunt!

Thanks so much!

justin

if I were you, I would look in Ca locally for a rust free car and have Tom Jones or Delia inspect it for you beforehand.

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

Ditto that advice. Don't rush on a 2002, take your time. There should be much better cars then the one shown on the west coast. No need to pay a delivery premium either. Make local contacts, seek their advice, learn a bunch, maybe beg a ride or a drive.

Watch out for 1976 models in your area that have not passed smog too.

2003 GMC Sierra Stuff Hauler

2000 Honda Odyssey Family Hauler

1992 Mazda Miata Wife's Grocery Getter

1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT Dust Collector

1973 BMW 2002 Sunny Day Driver

1991 318iC Daughter's ride

Even CA cars have some degree of rust on them, don't be fooled by the hype. Check the normal rust prone areas first, spare tire well, strut towers front and rear, rocker panels, floor boards front and rear, especially the fronts due to previous windshield leaks or a master cylinder leak, condensate drain leak if it has had a/c.

This one doesn't really look that bad, but I do agree on the transportation cost and the back fees of the current registration (blue plate is a plus!)

If you would like, email me and we can talk one on one via phone about this. I have been restoring 02's since 1974 and lived on both coasts.

72 Tii 2761525 Fjord- sunroof

73 Tii 2762870 Malaga- sunroof

73 Tii 2763356 Atlantic- sunroof

73 Tii 2763815 Fjord- sunroof

Don't buy a 2002 from Florida unless you put your eyes and hands all over it. I have been buying them here for over 15 years...Lot's of rain, beaches and humidity...There are some good ones out there to be found in the Sunshine state, but this is a great place to grow rust too...my 02 cents worth..

69 2002

04 GTI 1.8T Daily Driver

1974 2002 (Wife's car)

**Vintage BMW meet Uptown Altamonte Springs, 2nd Saturday 7pm Near 436 and I-4 in Altamonte Springs FL Email me for details***