• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What paint to use for suspension parts?

Dejammey

The metal on your struts looks pretty good (very good) that said bare metal does start to rust the moment it is exposed (albeit nominally). I would use a rust converter (Eastwood has several products, Wirth has one i believe) that you spray on, initiates a converstion process on the surface the eliminates any rust. After that I would lay on a couple of layers of primer and then a couple of coats of satin black paint (SEM, Wurth or one of the other quality rattle can brands). On the other end is the POR15 and Wurth Rustguard applications, POR 15 has to be shot out of a gun (could be brushed on but I don't think it would look so hot) ditto on the Wurth - and from what I have been told that stuff is BRUTAL - get it on your skin and you have to wait for your skin to come off (literally). Either of these would probably be the ultimate protection for your struts.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

i am very pleased with my latest attempt at protecting the suspension bits from rust. i started with clean metal, then rattle can primer then i applied rattle can semi-gloss black. initially, i went with the rattle can semi-gloss thinking that touchups would be really easy. it does scratch off fairly easy, i must admit.

anyhow, my most recent modification included a light coat of rubberized undercoating over my rear subframe. it dries to a nice semi-gloss finish with a very subtle texture. the best part is that it is semi-pliable so i am hoping that scratches won't lead to delamination. it should be applied before assembly as i think it would look terrible if it appeared as overspray. touchups could be applied with adequate masking. this is the way i'll be doing my suspension bits henceforth.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Powder Coating, stuff is tough as nails!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Guest Anonymous

There's a reason spray paint is so cheap. It's poor quality paint. Do you really want to redo this work in a year?? Borrow a paint gun. Buy a quart of semi gloss enamel paint and do the job correctly the first time. At worst find a body shop that will paint and bake

Or Preval spray system and enamel... It works really well.

Plus one for the Preval sprayer. I had some SEM primer in a rattlecan, and a little Deltron color in a can. I was able to put the color down on the windsheild frame on my M3. I wouldn't use it for a body panel (I'm not that skilled), but for suspension parts it should be good.

Depending on your paint, you may need some reducer.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Preval is just a delivery system. So you can use whatever paint in a can that you want. Paint in a can like from a body shop or a shop that mixes body paint.

Rattle can is not really that good, it looks good for a short while. I have no experience with the appliance paint Esty mentioned.

The only rattle can that I have good things to say about for suspension is Chassis Black. That may be a POR product.

While on the POR story, it performs best over a rusty surface, performs poorly on clean metal.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5