• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What paint to use for suspension parts?

Dejammey

The PO of my car used a bunch of POR products all over it (I have the receipts). The black POR is now flaking off the rear subframe. If I do it again, I'd use the Eastwood's Chassis black and try the PreVal sprayer. Where I work we used to offer these when we sold touch-up paint for our equipment. This was before the environmental issues made us switch from oil-based to water-based paint (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Guest Anonymous

Interesting (about the Por and clean metal), no first hand experience with Por or Wurth RustGuard although have read about alot of folks that have used it. According to my local paint/body guys you can NOT shoot Por out of a Preval (too thick) assume it is probably the same story for the Wurth. As clean as those struts are I don't know that they really need that application anyway. The boots/suspenders you choose to use is somewhat dependent on where you live and how much the car is on the road. Here in Norcal (where it was about 78 deg where I was ) somewhat of a moot point. Still, putting a good coating of whatever on your parts that see wear and tear from the elements is a good idea.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

+1 for powdercoating. If you want to do it right, the only way to go. It's not THAT much more than good paint, and much more durable. That said, I was lazy/cheap and used epoxy "chassis" paint. It's held up well for 5k+ of hard winter driving, but time will tell. Prep is most important here though.

i know i am, i'm sure i am...

From an earlier post on the same subject line

I'm a huge fan of DuPont Imron and utilized it for race car frames for 30 years.

Almost as durable as powder-coating but "repairable" and if you can spray enamel a very nice finish too.

The hot tip for applying is to spray directly to sandblasted steel "No Primer" just wipe it down with prep-sol or lacquer thinner, blow dry and paint. Nice bonus feature, brake fluid won't even touch it

The absence of primer creates a bond to the sandblasted steel that will not flake even in a flexing application