• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission shot?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Mine had the same symptom a while back. It was so bad, I thought the driveshaft would fall out. It ended up being the Tranny-Driveshaft connector, or Guibo. Cheap part and not too tough to fix. Make sure to check that before getting a whole new tranny. Good Luck!

sb

Guest Anonymous

I think (but I'm not sure yet) that I need a whole new transmission for my 73 2002. It drives, but makes a loud clunking / banging noise underneath when driven. I limped it home last night. I can't do that kind of work myself. I'm going to bring it to a good BMW mechanic tomorrow (who drives a tii), but in the meantime, I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts. The car has some other less major problems, and I want to keep it, but I don't know if it's worth it. Costs, suggestions, ideas? Thanks in advance.

While I'm at it, what kind of plugs would you recommend if mine get oil-fouled fast and I can't fix the underlying problem right now? I use Bosch w8dcs now.

Guest Anonymous

If in fact, it is the guibo you can do it yourself. Really.

I would be curious as to what the shop gets to do this.

Shade tree mech w/o lift can do it in less than hour - depending on

quantity of inspection fluid consumed.

DIY and, use the money saved on labor to Buy More Wrenches (tools)

Neat concept huh?

Easy to explain to spouses. As long as you don't go after em

with greasy hands...

Guest Anonymous

I'd check guibo, rear tranny mount (can cause driveshaft vibration) and center support bearing. Then check rear U-joint on driveshaft. The first three things above that are worn will wear out the U-joint (ask me how I know!)

Most dying trannys announce themselves gradually--humming bearings, graunchy synchros or even the machinegun noise of a broken gear tooth.

Keep your fingers crossed it's driveshaft-related. That stuff you can fix yourself.

Good luck

Mike

Nevada '69

Sahara '73