• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint "improvement" tips

bnam

Here's what the roof and trunk of my car look like thanks to a cheapo paint job done about 8 years ago.

Any tips on how I can improve the looks to tide me thru until I get to a repaint?

I'm thinking of sanding with 180 then 400 and so on and then rubbing compound etc. Is 180 too much grit -- should I start at 400? Or not enough?

IMG_1963.jpg

IMG_1962.jpg

Thanks!

Byas

I always wondered if this clear coat failure mode was salvageable. Many of my e28 friends had the same condition with the factory paint. In my mind you should be able to strip the clear coat and wet sand the paint to get it nice again, but it seems like it would be touch and go getting the clear coat off without taking paint with it and going too deep. Sorry, don't know the answer, but someone should.

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)

Start with 600 and work lightly and finish off with a 1200 or 2000 grit. You never want to start with too heavy a grit because you will create deep scratches that will just ruin the paint. If 600 is not enough start with a 400 and work you way up. Fiinish up with a polish and sealer wax. Clear coats are very tricky so go slow in an inconspicuous area first to gauge your results. Remember alot depends on the quality of the paint that was used to repaint your car. You dont want huge strips coming off because of previous bad prep work.

Good luck.

Enthusiastic as hell but dumber than a box of rocks. 1974 tii Atlantik Blue 2780099. Gobi Lux Interior.

1974 Tii Chamonix 2781879 Sunroof coupe, Gobi Interior- parting out

1994 318IS M42 project abandoned. parting out

That clear coat will continue to flake off no matter what you do to the car. Sanding or polishing it with anything will only expose more base coat which has no UV protection and will just turn dull again.

Attempts to sand off the clear and re-clear will also not work. You will inevitably sand through the base into the primer because the base coat is very thin.

All you can do with that is wash it and put a little wax on it to make it look a little better than bad. Sorry.

71, flat black

Beat to fit, paint to match.

Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem" - Ronald Reagan

First of all, you should not try this, but I did it. On my son's dark green Honda Civic the clear coat looked like yours. Since it was really ugly (white flakes on dark green), I figured I had nothing to lose. I used a single sided razor blade at an angle and gently scraped off the whitish clear coat ( keep the blade flat and be careful not to go into the deeper green paint. Use a new blade often). When I got to "good" (clear) clear coat I stopped. I then used some rubbing compound on the bare paint (green) and polished it all with good wax. What I ended up with is an all green car that was dull in spots and shiny in spots, but looked a whole lot better than before. A 15 footer. I do not know how long it will last with no clear coat protection, but there was no clear coat there when I started anyway. Do not try this!

Carl

1969 1600 Cabriolet Ti engine

I did exactly as described above with scraping the clear coat with a razor blade, then polished using TR-3. it came out great. I did that to the entire hood, roof, and trunk of my E21, came out amazing!

I re-polish it about once a year with the TR-3. It took me about a year to finally get it all, it is a slow, painstaking process with the scraping and buffing a little at a time, but if you aren't going to paint anytime soon, its not a bad option.

79' 320i (comfy modified daily driver)

73' 2002 (weekend beater crusier/rolling resto)

73' 2002tii (superfast rust bucket undergoing restoration)

72' tii (parts car)  ...99' SV650  ...00' KTM 380 2 stroke ...06' Kawasaki Ninja 500R ...96' F-250 7.3L turbo diesel (towtruck)

You would be amazed at what a can of Ajax and a washcloth does to a faded Malaga car. Trick is that you must wash off all the residue after and immediately wax. Down in Fl in the used car lots they hire homeless bums to "detail" the cars. You can't give a bum a buffer so.......

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

instead of a razor blade, use the edge of an old credit card or key card from a motel/hotel. It'll scrape off the whitish dead clearcoat without harming the color coat underneath.

I did that to my Delfingrau E30 over several years, as the clearcoat died, and while the underlying grey color coat was dull, it was better than the whitish crazed clearcoat... at least it was even on all the horizontal surfaces where the clearcoat had failed.

mike'

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I scraped a large section of roof with my fingernails (I'm not suggesting this approach, but I also wouldn't use any metal tool) on an old saab 900. The end result was surprisingly nice. If you can work it back to were the clear coat is still attached well and keep it waxed it might look decent.