• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new 1975 2002 - just blew my radiator!

2002.albrecht

Hey guys! My first post - been stalking the site for a while, decided to finally to make an account when I blew a hole in my stock radiator. I was wondering what everyone's input is on either just a oem replacement, upgrade to an aluminum 320i radiator, or go the electric fan way. I'm really bummed out, but I LOVE this car! I have a feeling this is the start of a long addiction. It's in such condition inside and out, I just HAD to pick it up. Anyways, I'll post some pictures I took when I got the car and my newly blown radiator. Thanks!

Any thoughts on these?

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-cooling/02alrad-st.html

Nissens 320i Upgrade kit

Jon

post-21459-136676563737_thumb.jpg

you can get what you have re-cored, or buy a stock replacement, or buy buy buy... I had to make the same decision last fall, and opted for the unit jaymic sells. The stock radiator cools fine for me so no reason to convert to anything else.

http://www.jaymic.com/shop/parts_02_products.asp?grp=02CO&page=9

02CO.0101.jpg

Part Number: 02CO.0101

Price: £145.62

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I'd go for a three row re-core of your existing radiator--will keep the engine nice and cool even in a hot climate with A/C...and look exactly like the original radiator on the outside

.if you're not so concerned with originality, the sky's the limit...

cheers

mike

PS--if it's not blown too badly, have a radiator shop check it--might be a simple repair, or if not, he could fit a 3 row core. Last time I checked, the proper core was a RADAC 26....but it may have a new number now.

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I'm not really partial to keeping it stock under the hood... I bought it with some modifications done already - electronic ignition, weber carb, custom exhaust, etc.. I bought it from a guy in San Diego that has had 8 2002s over the years.. He had an AMAZING 1600 in his driveway. Just amazing. I had it tuned up, new suspension, new window gaskets, and an oil change by Bill @ Rennsport in Ramona. Quite an amazing place he has there. Anyway... It's a huge hole in the upper right hand corner in the middle of some of the fins. I think I'd rather put a new one in myself. Also, since I'm going to be taking out the radiator - should I replace the fan blade and degrease as much as I can? It really spewed coolant everywhere. Thanks everyone!

Jon

p.s. Anyone have issues with the fan hitting the radiator due to weak or aged engine mounts?

My recommendation would be to replace with 3 core from SiliconGarage now supported by Mark Preisendorf of 9Grenzen. Great quality and perfect OEM fit and looks while you get better cooling and reliability.

My improved radiator works perfect in hot environment of Houston

I believe their website is SiliconGarage02@gmail.com

Good luck

JP

I can't imagine what that would cost to ship to CA, USA! Are you happy with it? Any pics?

Jon

if you're referring the jaymic radiator, the rad cost + shppg is far less (about $360 US) than buying an OEM radiator @ $510. here in the states.

I have not installed it yet, but will be very soon.

Scott

oh, I also have a few mods under my hood, but the stock radiator works fine.

IMG_4785.jpg

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I was looking into SG radiators - kinda hard since they don't have a website - how'd your install go? Is it a true drop in part? Any pics?

Jon

Just did mine a couple weeks ago. Very nice package. All new hardware included. Super easy drop in installation.

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

The fouder of SiliconGarage, Curt Ingraham, was in the East Bay area, but since Curt's passing, I'm not sure of the recoring operation's location.

I've heard the quality is faithful to Curt's excellent product. With you in CA I'd think the shipping would not be a major concern, if, in fact, the operation is still in the Bay area.

And, as long as you're doing this, don't neglect to drain the coolant out of the block at the same time. Block drain plug (17mm) is just below, and between the #3 and #4 exhaust ports on the passenger side. I'd also recommend refilling with BMW coolant (blue smurf juice). Your aluminum alloy parts will thank you for it. Takes 1½ gals.

Bob Napier

post-144-13667656377706_thumb.jpg

I have one of Curt's old radiators in my 68 and it looks and fits like stock. It worked so well that I had to ditch my band-aid tropical fan and 71c thermostat because the engine was now running too cool....There are lots of choices out there, but when an E21 radiator with mod is still around $300 for a Behr (Nissens is a little cheaper) why bother with anything but the Silicon Garage radiator?

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--