• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust header design question

bnam

PO had installed a 4-2-1 header on my 74Tii -- allegedly from IE. But, I could not find a matching pic on their website.

The header on mine has cylinders 1&3 and 4&2 paired together. IE site says (wrt shorty header) that 4&1 and 2&3 is the correct pairing. But, their stage 2 header shows 1&2 and 3&4 pairing. I initially thought I had the stage 2 header until I noticed the diff in the pairing (unless IE changed their design sometime).

IMG_1611.jpg

So, which pairing is right and which one is worst?

Thanks!

Byas

Looks like an old Alpina bag of snakes copy. The design was to keep all the tubes the same length!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

For torque, you want 1&4 paired with 2 and 3-

it balances out the pulses over time, as your zundfolge is 1342, you know...

any other pairing in a tri-y will be a net loss.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Looks like an old Alpina bag of snakes copy. The design was to keep all the tubes the same length!

I found

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/2010/03/schrick-bmw-m10-headers.html

had a couple of pics of Shrick copies of Alpina bundle of snakes. Though the first set has pairing similar to mine, while the second is 4/1 + 2/3 pairing.

If the 4/1 & 2/3 pairing is better for torque, why is the IE stage 2 paired as 2/1 & 4/3? Is that for peak hp?

Thx!

B

Guest Anonymous

You are mistaken. The IE short headers are designed with the correct 1&4 and 2&3 connections. See the description on our website.

Jeff Ireland

Guest Anonymous

There is no such item as a "stage 2" header from Ireland Engineering. We do not make any 4-2-1 header other than the shorty. Our long tube headers are 4 into 1. You must have us confused with a different manufacturer.

Jeff Ireland

Sorry you have mis-read my post -- I said your shorty headers have the "correct" pairing, but was wondering if why your stage 2 headers have a different pairing.

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-exhaust/02stephead1.html

Thx!

Byas

i think you're mixing two different designs up:

4-2-1 need the 1/4-2/3 pairing

while 4into1 headers can be paired as space allows whereas it's important all pipes are the same lenght

Guest Anonymous

Sorry my error. I looked at our website. I guess my guys have decided to call the 4 into 1 long header stage 2. The fact that the tubes end up beside each other at the collector does not mean they are arranged 1-2 and 3-4 . It is not significant. The tubes are in a bundle so each tube touches all the other tubes.

Jeff Ireland

Found this in another thread today. Original source was CD

ANSAoldcatalogpicBMW2002.jpg

The top header has 4&2 paired -- I think I may have found the origin of my header.

Anyone have anything good to say about this Ansa header?

I had installed Ansa on a Fiat spider many years ago and I remember it went together very easily and hung/fit well.

Thx,

B

Found this in another thread today. Original source was CD

ANSAoldcatalogpicBMW2002.jpg

The top header has 4&2 paired -- I think I may have found the origin of my header.

Anyone have anything good to say about this Ansa header?

I had installed Ansa on a Fiat spider many years ago and I remember it went together very easily and hung/fit well.

Thx,

B

I believe is is a copy of an Alipna initially. The reason for the funky look if I remember correctly is to have all the tubes the same length, I believe it is for better torque.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2