• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii engine clearance questions

jgerock

Based on my limited (1/4") clearance between the fan hub and radiator, I'm wondering if my engine is somehow too far forward on the subframe.

Any of you tii owners mind doing some comparisons for me? Much appreciated.

IMG_6949.jpg

RTsideradiatortonosegap.jpg

Clearanceatfan.jpg

Topviewwithtape.jpg

Closeatcowltop.jpg

Passsideacrossatstruts.jpg

IMG_6900.jpg

Cowlreferencepoint.jpg

Cowlvalvecoveroverall.jpg

CowltoplenumRoundel.jpg

Cowlatvalvecover.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

normally you have the thickness of your hand between the fan hub and radiator. Think - if the fan is too far from the radiator core you loose air

flow efficiency - which is why having a fan shroud improves air draw

by the fan through the core.

your front sub frame can only attach in one place under the front

body rails so that is fixed. The drivers side motor mount is fixed

on one spot with no foward or back varience. The passenger motor mount

can move slightly foward or back but finds its tension free

location from the drivers side mount and the trans mount.

more common is lack of front radiator-to-fan clearance because of

body collision repairs to the front nose panel.

Your photos of positions looks fine.

what you do want to be sure of with your fan-to-radiator

gap is that your passenger side motor mount has the

proper travel limit stop bracket and it's adjusted correctly.

02motormounts.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

As CD said important that passenger side motor mount travel limiting bracket be in place and adjusted correctly. However 1/4" clearance to the radiator is way too little. A hard stop (such as at the end of an autocross or emergency situation) will put your fan into the radiator, it has happened to me. Poly mounts will help, old (soggy) rubber motor mounts will allow too much longitudinal shift under heavy deceleration. As you can't easily move the engine back (without significant custom mods), I would suggest a fan delete and an electric pusher fan mounted in front of the radiator. As least reduce the 3mm clearance on the limiting strap to 1mm and use poly bushings.

Fred 74tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Passenger side limiting strap is almost touching the mount now

passsidemount.jpg

Driver's side mount

DSmount.jpg

My air cleaner is also not in-line with the throttle body - as some others here have noticed on their tii's.

IMG_6931.jpg

Wonder if my radiator mounting tabs were welded on too far forward. Note how much of a gap there is all around the radiator to the nose opening.

How much clearance is there supposed to be between the fan and radiator fins?

Fred - I have A/C in my car...

Fuelinjection015.jpg

Jim Gerock

Your photo of the tape on the valve cover acorn nut to the firewall of just under 12 3/4" maeasure the same as on my car.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Your photo of the tape on the valve cover acorn nut to the firewall of just under 12 3/4" maeasure the same as on my car.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

It is hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like it might have a 3 row core in the radiator. Stock is 2 rows. Someone might have put a thick core in because of overheating issues in the past

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

I'll try to take some of the measurments on my car tonight. If it's not too cold, or raining, or I get called into work.

The skew for your air cleaner looks to be a bit much.

Are you running a 5 speed or stock set-up?

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I'll try to take some of the measurments on my car tonight. If it's not too cold, or raining, or I get called into work.

The skew for your air cleaner looks to be a bit much.

Are you running a 5 speed or stock set-up?

Clearance at the hub was about 1/2" with the 4-speed and now is about 1/4" with the 5 speed OD tranny. The gap at the outer tips of the blade is about even to the fins.

Jim Gerock

It is hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like it might have a 3 row core in the radiator. Stock is 2 rows. Someone might have put a thick core in because of overheating issues in the past

There are only (2) vertical tubes inside the radiator. The car runs about midway on the temperature gauge in normal driving and jumps to about 3/4 when the A/C is (rarely) used in the summer months.

I do have a new Silicon Garage (Mark P. ownership) 3-row unit I'm saving for another project so I will compare it to the one currently in the car. The radiator certainly sits farther back than others I've seen.

Jim Gerock

I was wondering if the driveshaft was left a touch long after modification and that's pushing things forward?

Mounting points to review-

Diff lower mounting bolts

Center Bearing

Trans mounts

motor mounts.

I know this was hashed over before on the FAQ: What about losening the diff mounts to see if things move backwards? We're talking a 1/4" wiggle.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I was wondering if the driveshaft was left a touch long after modification and that's pushing things forward?

Mounting points to review-

Diff lower mounting bolts

Center Bearing

Trans mounts

motor mounts.

I know this was hashed over before on the FAQ: What about losening the diff mounts to see if things move backwards? We're talking a 1/4" wiggle.

New driveshaft was too short by 3/16", even with the rear diff pushed all the way forward (I have (2) washers at the guibo (see my other thread). CSB is closer to the rear adjustment slots than my old 4-speed DS.

When I recently installed new tunnel brackets, I raised the tranny with a transmission jack and put the new mounts in. The engine and trans combination was not moved front/back.

Jim Gerock