• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii engine clearance questions

jgerock

On mine, I get 3/4" from fan hub to (3 core) radiator, and 12 1/2" from firewall to cl of center cam cover acorn nut.

I know the nose on mine has been replaced once.

Stock 4-speed.

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

Measurements on my car. Nose damage at some point. Drive shaft too long.

From radiator cap, 26"

IMG_1977.jpg

Firewall is contoured -- so where you position the tape can throw off the reading by about 3/8"

IMG_2011.jpg

Measuring from a lower point on the firewall, I get just over 12" to the roundel center - -so my engine is about 1/4 forward of yours...

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

My radiator is a bit askew with the closer point being the pass side where there is 3/8" clearance to fan

IMG_1987.jpg

while the center is about 1/2" clearance at blade and at hub.

IMG_2009.jpg

Radiator gap seems similar.

IMG_2014.jpg

Couple more reference points possibly for engine location

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

My pass side mount has no gap (again consistent with being a tad forward of your engine.

IMG_2004.jpg

Does this look like there was some welding done?

IMG_2005.jpg

And, while my engine seems to be similarly located to yours, I was able to get the Airbox aligned to throttle body. I think you should be able to as well.

IMG_1994.jpg

And, gap at the top of the radiator is about 1/2"

IMG_1996.jpg

So, it puzzles me that despite the radiator being the same distance from the firewall @ 26 inches, AND my engine being a tad forward of yours, it has more clearance to the radiator.

Byas

Thanks for all the measurements guys.

Byas-

My radiator core measures 1.53" thick and 1.676" thick at the widest point (metal casing to mounting bracket - not the tanks). The position of the mounting brackets on the core makes my radiator push in toward the engine.

The distance between the water pump pulley and fan hub looks smaller than mine (1/2"). The spare 5-blade fan I have has different "sides" to the hub, one side measures 5/16" deep, the other 5/8". Theoretically, you could install the fan backwards and space it toward the radiator. I compared the spare fan to the one on the engine (blades are oriented the same way) so I think it is on the correct way. Air is pulled thru the radiator.

Older picture before the 5-speed swap.

pics121608001.jpg

Not that it matters, but my radiator has a temperature switch on the lower LH side for the A/C system. Maybe from a later model??

Jim

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Dug out my Silicon Garage radiator this morning and took some pics. Per my call to Mark when I bought this unit, my car has a "late model" radiator that can accomodate a fan shroud and has an NPT drain plug in the lower side.

I bought the same unit from Mark intending on putting in my tii, but am saving it for another car.

IMG_6953.jpg

IMG_6957.jpg

IMG_6965.jpg

Core thickness

IMG_6961.jpg

Overall thickness

IMG_6960.jpg

This radiator looks exactly like the one in my car (except for number of rows).

Jim Gerock

Byas-

My radiator core measures 1.53" thick and 1.676" thick at the widest point (metal casing to mounting bracket - not the tanks). The position of the mounting brackets on the core makes my radiator push in toward the engine.

The distance between the water pump pulley and fan hub looks smaller than mine (1/2"). The spare 5-blade fan I have has different "sides" to the hub, one side measures 5/16" deep, the other 5/8".

Jim

Jim,

I'm confused. The third pic in your first posting showed a 1/4" gap from you fan hub (5-blade I believe) to the radiator. Your above note states you have 1/2" clearance.

Assuming it is 1/4" clearance,

I see the following measurements --

Radiator to firewall is same distance -- 26"

Your engine is 1/4" back vs. mine

Yet I have 1/4" more hub to radiator clearance.

I can't explain the 1/2" (1/4"+1/4") discrepancy. I probably missed something.

Byas

Byas-

The distance between the water pump pulley and fan hub looks smaller than mine (1/2"). The spare 5-blade fan I have has different "sides" to the hub, one side measures 5/16" deep, the other 5/8".

Jim

Jim,

I'm confused. The third pic in your first posting showed a 1/4" gap from you fan hub (5-blade I believe) to the radiator. Your above note states you have 1/2" clearance.

Assuming it is 1/4" clearance,

I see the following measurements --

Radiator to firewall is same distance -- 26"

Your engine is 1/4" back vs. mine

Yet I have 1/4" more hub to radiator clearance.

I can't explain the 1/2" (1/4"+1/4") discrepancy. I probably missed something.

Byas

Sorry Byas..

I am referring to the distance between the fan hub and the water pump pulley (1/2")

Clearanceatfan.jpg

Jim Gerock

Hey,

i have recored many radiators using the same cores

that come from si garage. your radiator sides are mounted

too far forward of the core. when i have the sides

soldiered on i have the core set nearly flush with the

part of the side that attaches to the nose panel. the

wire loom over the top is tight but it gives the best

fan clearance. most motor's tilt toward the radiator

in a hard braking action. i have seen a few fans eat

the tubes or flatten the fins after these actions.

if you can find a good radiator shop they can fix the

location of the sides.

good luck

stone

stone racing co

phila pa 19123

FWIW, Jim...

-Distance from the firewall to the center of the roundel in the intake on my car is about 11 7/8 inches (which looks the same as yours - or at least pretty close).

-The distance between the hub of the fan and radiator on my car is 3/4 inch - pretty big difference.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

i have a similar issue, except that I am finding that my radiator fan (originally 360mm) had to be trimmed down to about 300mm to avoid having the bottom of the radiator being brushed by the fan.

I've already changed the engine and trans mounts - but cant figure out why i am having this issue.

I've been finding that the reduced fan diameter is really affecting my cooling ability - and have a tropical fan blade ready, just cant install it without it getting destroyed.

Any suggestions? 

When I rebuilt my engine a few years ago, I installed a new water pump. I had clearance problems that I eventually traced to the mounting flange being too far forward on the impeller shaft. not exactly an easy fix as it requires radiator removal, water pump removal etc.

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)