• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many Heat shields -- 74Tii

bnam

So which one is it - all the Tii's had only one exhaust heat shield" or "'74 tii had only firewall insulation"?

ALL '02s (Tii's et all) had an exhaust manifold heat shield (different styles for different needs but still a heat shield bolted to the exhaust manifold in 4 spots). AND ALL '02s had the same firewall insulation pad, including thermal reactor cars. The thermal reactor cars ('75-76 US 2002s) had a lot other additional heat shields including an additional heavier aluminum firewall shield and other under car heat shields....

I'm not trying to accomplish anything, just curious. I've known my car since it was new, and I don't think it ever had a heat shield. It does have the threads on the exhaust manifold, but having them doesn't verify the one time existance of the shield.

The '72 Tii my parent's bought new (2760007) still has it's original exhaust manifold heat shield, it has never been off the manifold (yet). I've worked on that car with Dad since I was a toddler. I have seen under the hoods of many hundreds of Tii's in my life and about half of those still had their heat shields. Perhaps an early dealer mechanic on your car found the shield to be in the way or got a complaint of a rattle and found that the heat shield had some loose bolts... and tossed it? Also... I'd check all 4 thread holes for damage, if one or more are buggered up then a mechanic didn't feel like spending the time to re-tap the hole or tell his service advisor that he buggered a hole in an expensive exhaust manifold and tossed the shield. There are a thousand scenarios that could explain the missing heat shield... ;)

Don't mean to argue, but simply answering questions and stating the facts; with a bit of good natured opinion tossed in for measure. :b...

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

The heat shield topic reminds of when my ex-mechanic (retired) with 30 yrs. experience working on 2002s pulled one (not the one over the tii exhaust manifold) off my completely de-smogged '75 and tossed it in the corner of his garage, where, he said, it was still rattling two weeks later.

Bob Napier

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW - my tii was missing this heatshield and since I didn't want to remove the manifold to install the 318i flexible one (which have served me well in the past on other cars) I decided to clean the threads on the manifold with a tap and fabricate a stainless one using a simple sheet metal brake at work. Not sure how well stainless dissipates heat versus the original aluminum or standard steel shields, but at least now there's something between my plug wires and manifold heat.

Anyone have stats on heat dissipation ability among different metals? Hello Engineers?

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

2002tii-2008017.jpg

Sorry all for the thread hijack:

John,

What's the finish on your valve cover, manifold, etc.? Clear powdercoat perhaps? How long have you had it in place and how is it holding up?

Thanks,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)