• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 vs 75 vs 76 cars/shells

Taymar

Hi all, I have a quick question on the square taillight cars.

I've been reading up on the model year differences, and it seems that when dealing with a 'regular' square taillight 2002 the '76 cars seem to be preferable as far as the mechanical stuff goes.

I'm guessing they also command a price premium as a result. Is there anything to watch out for as far as rust/bodyshell that applies specifically to any of these three years? I'd be looking for a non-sunroof car if that's relevant (unless these are rare/cost a lot extra).

If you're shopping for a 'shell', take a look at this dry California '75 roller I'm helping a friend sell (link goes to an ad here on the FAQ):

http://tinyurl.com/7qsm73v

Some folks poking around, but still currently available. Email for additional info and photos. -KB

Flintstonemobiles faster than other years. The front floors rusted out due to inferior (or not enough, or something depending to who you talk to) sealant that seals the floor plugs in place. As a result, water would leak in around the plugs and rust the floor out under the tarpaper. So if you're looking at a '75, check those plugs underneath the car to make sure they're still tight with no evidence of rust around 'em.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike: that may be true (or not). '75's are unfairly maligned as the worst year for the '02. I would beg to differ and quite a few others would likely join in. The dreaded thermal reactor (smog equipmt.) supposedly ruined the engines (too much heat), but other than anecdotes, I've not seen proof of this. After 35 years or so, floors get replaced, thermal reactors get thrown away, big bumpers get dumped in favor of chrome bumpers, engines get rebuilt, etc. I don't see how a '75 is inferior to a '76 or a '74. I have not experienced it certainly.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

IMHO, 76's are more prone to rust for some reason.

My '74 and '76 both lived in New York for most of their lives, then they came to the garage in NC in the '90s where they've lived since them.

I pulled that motor recently; that engine compartment is horrid(as is the rest of the car)

026.jpg

This compartment's paint held up much better.

020.jpg

I've personally just heard a lot more stories of '76 cars rusting away. Only recently have I really even heard much about 75's.... Again IMO they're less heard of but not worse cars because of it.

74s are pretty common. They have awkward seats in them with huge headrest side-things, the 75 and 6 changed that with normal headrest bars coming straight out of the bottom of the headrest vs. going off to the sides of the seat.

But, anyway, they're all the same down to if they were driven in salt, have a sunroof, sat outside or were garaged, have been shoddily repainted, etc.

Good luck hunting!

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

Thanks guys, this information will definitely help broaden my search.

Is seam rust something that's practical to correct, or at that point are you looking at band-aid type fixes only?

kbmb02 - Very clean looking car, I think for my first '02 though I'd like to try and get something complete. That may change though, thanks for the info.

Koblenz - I'm in northeast FL.

Really appreciate the help, thanks again all.