• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Bumper center shock length

bnam

Pulled off the rear bumper for the first time as it was sitting at a slight angle.

I found the center shock was not connected to the bumper and sat about an inch short of the bumper. I could not pull it out -- I have to devise a way to get it out. Am I correct in assuming the center shock is a bit longer? I need to look for one. I do have a good side shock to trade.

The rubber inserts on all three shocks were "sealed" in with black goop. Is that factory or a PO?

I also need one of the metal plates for the accordion -- only one side had one on.

I was able to clean it all up and get it properly aligned. Now need to track down those 2 parts and get some tips on pulling the center shock out.

Byas

Huh. I woulda sworn there's no center shock, but instead, a fixture

for a trailer hitch...

...and the goop sounds non- stock, too.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I believe the goop is OE, both my 75 & 76 had the same goop holding the plastic holder for the shock... The center shock is a bit longer as I recall, I have a few sets in my basement. mjtem At sbcglobal dot net.

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

The center is longer. I do not remember if it was a shock or just a slide. I had to remove it to tuck the rear bumper. The stuff around the shock is not a goo on mine. It is a rubber piece that makes the square hole round for the shock to fit. They slide out of mine. Yours may have been replaced with "goo" by a PO.

1975 BMW 2002 Fjord

thanks omar for the loan of your photo :

if the shocks have been HIT! they will compress

and not nec return. Once hit, second time may not

work as intended - cushioning the body.

large bead of calking around the 3 body holes normal

not on the shock. Someone may have drilled the

shock to remove the oil for shortening in the past and

sealed up the hole.

if you need 3 virgin shocks? unmolested ?

place a FREE ad over in the WANTED/FOR SALE section

Must be a hundred out there from all the short bumper

conversions - if they haven't already been recycled

to worm food. They should be free for the asking PLUS postage.

4619578307_20e8be0ce6_b.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

The outer shocks don't appear hit or compressed. The black goop was in addition to the black rubber sleeve that help fit round peg in square hole.

So, looks like I need to just look for the center shock.

If the goop was factory -- what can I use to reproduce?

Thanks!

Byas

I'm parting out my 76, but I used all of the accordions on my 74 as all of it's were in horrible shape. still has good shocks, and those little plates that go in the accordion, if anyone's interested. plates are very rusty but salvageable. I'm sure there's better ones around.

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles