• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

accelerator put-put-putting

Hello all, in need of help.

Yesterday while driving my accelerator pedal began to fail. It started coming in and out, losing rpms at quite a rate. I even had to restart it while rolling at 35 mph multiple times. This seemed to happen more in higher gears.

I've got a Weber 32-36 that has a cold start issue, and I feel like this might be a related problem.

Any ideas?

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

1975 Inka 5-Speed

There could be a number of things contributing to this situation. I'm guessing that your linkage is OK - that you've checked to make sure it's not the ball-nut coming loose at the back of the carb.

If that's not the problem I'd be inclined to check that your idle jet is not clogged. It's easy to remove from the ouside and visually verify that it does not have a small spec of rust, etc. clogging things up. A strand of wire from stranded-wire can be used to carefully make sure it's free and clear.

If these do not solve your problem, come back on here (stating what you've already done) and we'll see what else we can suggest.

One more thing, if you have an electric choke be sure you're getting 12V to the choke. Could be you've got a bad fuse.

Bob Napier

almost dead fuel pump

dirt in the carb

crud & rust blocking intank strainer

porus leaking gas hoses

something wrong with the float inside the carb

something wrong with the carb jets

something wrong with the ignition

............ for starters

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

The "idle" jet circuit actually supplies most of the fuel up to around 2000 or so rpm before the main jet circuit kicks in.

And if you clean out your idle jets (there are two) with a piece of wire, be sure and use copper wire--it's softer than the brass jet and won't enlarge the hole. Since they're sized in (nominal) .01 mm sized (a 45 main jet is nominally .45mm in diameter) it doesn't take much poking with a steel wire to make a 45 jet into a 55 jet--and booger up your idle for sure.

If it's not fluff in the idle jet circuit, I'd look for an intermittent vacuum leak. If your dizzy has a vacuum advance unit, make sure when you suck on the vacuum hose you feel resistance--otherwise the diaphragm is shot and that will upset both mixture and timing.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite