• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for 1600-2 experts...

tsteph12

I am not the expert's expert, but have a '69 TITLED 1600-2. It appears to be original and was built in September '68 per Andres, if I recall correctly.

No side markers front or rear.

I also have a 2002 parts car built in the summer of 68 (forget the exact date) with the same configuration.

70 1600, Built in Nov. 1969. Came with side markers both front & back but when I replaced both front fenders years ago, I went without the front side markers.

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

70 1600, Built in Nov. 1969. Came with side markers both front & back but when I replaced both front fenders years ago, I went without the front side markers.

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

NO !

They started with the sidemarker lights at some point during 1969. My Granada 69 1600-2 does did not come with side markers.

Other things that changed at some point in 69:

1.They started installing the short neck diff.

2. At some point they also switched to the 4 piston brake calipers along with the newer spindles which have the smaller inner diameter wheel bearing as on most 2002s.

3. With the diff switch, the newer style non-telescopic driveshaft was incorporated

4. They switched to the newer style half-shafts. But, they are heavier.

Just because something new was incorporated does not mean it is better. The new short neck diffs hold less oil. The crush collar insde these newer short neck diffs is held in place by the same nut that holds the yoke. So, if you have to replace the oil seal (which you should on most since they are old at this point) you should disassemble the entire diff to replace the crush collar, otherwise it will alsways leak oil. This is not the case with the long neck diff. The older style telescopic driveshaft is also superior. The light reflectors look like add-ons.

The changeover point was O/A 1 January 1969 to comply with Federal regs that took affect on that date. BMW's 1969 model year began 1 Sept 1968; cars built from then until 31 Dec 68 were the "early 69's"; those built after 1 Jan 69 were the "late 69s."

The VIN changeover on 2002s was 1664761; if you look in a parts book at some of the items listed below for 1600s, you'll find the corresponding one for 1600s.

Other things that changed on 1 Jan 69:

1. short neck diff replaced the long neck.

2. 4 piston brake calipers along with the newer spindles which have the smaller inner diameter wheel bearing as on most 2002s.

3. With the diff switch, the newer style non-telescopic driveshaft was incorporated

4. They switched to the newer style half-shafts with CV joints inboard and outboard.

5. 3 speed heater fan.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

As I understand it the 1969 model year for BMW began in Sept 1968. Cars built from then until the end of the 1968 calendar year had a few differences from 1969 models built after Jan 1 1969-when US Federal regulations went into effect. So 1969 regs required the front side marker lights but 1969 model cars built prior to Jan 1 1969 did not have them.

HTH

Sam Adams
1972 Inka 2000tii Touring, 1968 Manila 1600-2, 2001 325iT

the item in discussion would be side marker reflectors. The front sides were never illuminated and the rears weren't illuminated until later in the run; no 1600-2 imported into the US had illuminated side markers.

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe

the item in discussion would be side marker reflectors. The front sides were never illuminated and the rears weren't illuminated until later in the run; no 1600-2 imported into the US had illuminated side markers.

Thank you Roger. Have not seen you post in a while. Hope all is well.

T.R.