• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glass in sideview mirror

RoyW

Has anyone ever tried to replace the glass in the sideview mirror? I know its not sold separately, but just wondered if it was possible? Seems a waste to have to throw the whole perfectly good assembly out, when just the glass is cracked. Thanks.

-Roy

Hey Roy, I put new mirror/glass in mine but can't remember how I did it. I even had the part that is chrome, re-chromed. The base is stainless I think.

However, I think the mirror/glass can push in a bit, enough to take the gasket out. With the gasket out, the mirror/glass will wiggle out. There is a backing and a spring behind all of that if I recall.

Now, with all that said, I could be 100% wrong. And, I think I am talking about the trapezoid mirror not the flag mirror

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I recently replaced the glass of a flag mirror. I had to break the old one to get it out. There was no spring or anything like that behind the glass. I then broke the replacement trying to install it. On my second try, I pushed the new glass into the frame while the whole works was submerged in very hot water to soften the plastic frame (gasket). That made a huge difference. Good luck.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

I did a column on mirror refurbishment, including replacing glass--if you'd like a copy, drop me an e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Not terribly difficult, just a bit tricky. Glass don't bend!

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike,

Was your article on just the outside mirror or did you cover the inside rear view mirror as well? I have a broken one I'd like to repair -- pains me to throw away part which are or soon will be NLA for something that seems do-able.

B

inside ones. Some things can be fixed, others can't. What's wrong with your inside mirror?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 5 months later...

Any chance Mike you could post a copy of the article you wrote in the FAQ Article section so we can all have a gander?

I'm currently doing this and confused as to whether you install the mirror or gasket last, I'm guessing gasket?

1972 RHD Auto - Sold

1973 RHD Verona - Project

1974 RHD chamonix - Towed 

Funny thing - I just read Mike's article on replacing the glass in mirrors last night. I think it was in a 2005 Roundel.

Edit - Mike's article (maybe there was more than 1?) was in the July 2005 Roundel (page 106).

In the same issue:

Classifieds had a 1968 2002 Verona sunroof (CRUSTY!) for $ 700.00 from the late, great Dan Irwin.

A certain Marshall Lytle listed among the finishers in the VIR CCA club races on 4/16 and 4/17 (E36 325is).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"