• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii chugging

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I started this post a month ago and finally got the o2 sensor and gauge installed yesterday. We dialed it in, and man, what a smooth running machine. I want to give a shout out to Bill Williams, c.d. iesel, jgerock and bnam for all of their input. The K-fisch manual, photos and suggestions were invaluable. We also found out the car has a 292 cam in it, which may have helped lead to problem. Some linkage has some play so we will start replacing them next, 1 or 2 at a time. I've seen some posts about MB parts working but are the OEM ones that expensive? Thanks again, you guys are the best!

Bimmernut,

Good to hear you've got it running well.

In my (recent and limited) experience with the Kfish system, I've come to believe that the most critical element of the linkage system is to keep the throttle and pump in synch. To this end -- the primary items would be

(a) check the throttle eccentric cam shaft for wear -- where it goes thru the bushing on the outside of the throttle body

(B) check you have a good bushing cup at the bottom of the intermediate shaft (this is the shaft that is connected tot he above throttle eccentric shaft) -- replace as needed.

© replace the connecting linkage or the ends (these ends are available separately and there is a left and right hand threaded items on each end) from the fuel pump to the throttle eccentric.

On the remaining 2 linkage rods I would prioritize:

(a) new bushings for the pivot shafts -- these are cheap and easy to fix

(B) check and adjust the long linkage length.

I believe these 2 linkages are a little bit more forgiving on ball joint play as all that causes is slightly more take up play -- so replace as your budget allows.

BTW, which O2 sensor did you go with? I'd like to install one to tune my mixture. My car has a 292 like yours does. So far I've not seen any

ill effects from it. But, since I've not driven a regular Tii (or any other '02) I'm not a good judge of the difference.

Byas

bnam, we bought this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250745191704?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

We wanted to get the fully analog one but this one was cheaper and had

free shipping. We used BillWilliams placement for the sensor and ran the

wire up near the shifter and fed the wire through a hole that was already

in the dash. This little gauge is a god send! Turns out my car was running

so lean that it would shoot to 18 and the digital readout would go blank.

This was across the whole range, so I marked the verboten screw and

took a video of me turning it just in case, and it's right around 14 now.

Glory b in the morning, the little guy is restored to it's former glory!

2763508 73tii

The AEM sensor has output for serial RS232 signalling. Output is in ASCII format showing the AFR with rn encoded (carriage return - line feed). This is convenient if you want to log to a laptop with serial port (or with a USB to serial converter.)

RPM logging is an analog square wave output from either the coil or the diagnostic plug output (or any other place in between). A custom idea would be to capture it with a micro-controller then send it to output RS232 on the same board. This way you can capture RPM vs AFR for data logging or visualization. I don't have mine working yet, but will make the schematic, code, and build materials open source once it's working and tested.

I'm not 100% sure about the Innovate unit as I only have personal experience with the AEM one - but would assume they have similar outputs.