• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Screaching starter noise in an automatic 320i

Mike87

I installed a new (rebuilt) SR441X starter in my sons 1980 320i automatic and it makes a terrible screaching noise when releasing the key after it starts.

The starter spins the motor very quickly and works well, but just makes a very loud screaching noise. I thought it was just because the flywheel is just a thin sheetmetal plate, but do not know.

Any ideas as to what this noise might be?

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

The starter in Da Beater did that, so I changed it for the smaller lightweight starter.....still makes the metal grinding screech/noise while starting.

It's been doing it for over a year now; I've just got used to it.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

i have a perfect rebuilded starter on my Automatic 02. It makes a nasty noise because of how the flywheel is made. It is worse since i upgraded it to the 4HP22.

Sounds like an old cavalier....doh !

its because there is no more meat like a heavy flywheel, its just a thin plate and act like a bell.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

Is it tight? I can think of an alignment issue.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

i have a perfect rebuilded starter on my Automatic 02. It makes a nasty noise because of how the flywheel is made. It is worse since i upgraded it to the 4HP22.

Sounds like an old cavalier....doh !

its because there is no more meat like a heavy flywheel, its just a thin plate and act like a bell.

That is exactly what I thought it was too. That flexplate is just sheetmetal. I will check for alignment as well, but I don't think it will do much.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Mike

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

• 2 weeks later...

I discovered the problem. Yesterday, the starter failed to turn the motor over, so it had to come out. Turns out that the shop who built the starter installed the wrong bendix gear on the starter so it did not mesh properly with the flywheel.

I installed an old starter temporarily and it works fine. Oh yea, no more screaching either. I will take this one back and have them put the correct gear on it.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)