• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The mystery of the frozen M10

Whatever happened led to the motor being removed in favor of the one original to the car. So far I haven't seen anything that shows why this engine stopped, and my dad, the last person to drive with this engine, cannot remember how it went down...just that it shut off and would not come back.

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

edit: talked about it for awhile; "Something started rattling, it wouldn't go over 35, then something snapped and it wouldn't run anymore. It seized up and wouldn't crank anymore."

...Spun bearing maybe?

Keep in mind, all the rods are intact, as well as the valvetrain (though I haven't pulled the head to confirm the valves are okay)

edit: talked about it for awhile; "Something started rattling, it wouldn't go over 35, then something snapped and it wouldn't run anymore. It seized up and wouldn't crank anymore."

...Spun bearing maybe?

Keep in mind, all the rods are intact, as well as the valvetrain (though I haven't pulled the head to confirm the valves are okay)

If the engine stopped following a reduced output and then inability to move the crank smacks of bearing seizure to me. I had two engines on VW combi buses go the same way.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Sure, but might not be cost effective depending on how bad it got.

Pull the head and the bearing caps and you'll know for sure.

I found a bearing shell in the pan of a parts motor once...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Various valve sucking scenarios fit that style death too. I couldn't tell from your pictures if everything is where it should be on the head. I've had retainers come off and valve drop into cylinder, timing jump and piston/valve collision where the valve gets bent over and prevents the piston from going full travel, had bolts come loose and lodge both under valves preventing them from closing and just bouncing around in the cylinder until they finally got in a tight enough squeeze to stop the engine. One of my favorites was a washer in the bottom end in that would just occasionally get caught between the rod and the block. I should point out that most of these are engines that have come to me for fixing rather then the result of my work but I am certainly not completely innocent. :)

But yeah, pull the head and I hope you update us. TIA

Rick

Toby X2

remove all the bearing caps for a look see

remove the cylinder head - look at the head gasket sealing rings

and look at the head for warpage - or worse

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I was thinking it was some sort of upper-end failure; I wouldn't be surprised if i found a snapped valve or something.

Update will come Monday; will pull the head and if I don't find anything ultimately take apart the rotating assy. The object isn't exactly to get this motor running again, but just to find why it died.

Take of that head, can't wait to see what's inside!

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

Well everybody, pulled it apart today. I was so anxious to find out what's up with this motor. Here's my findings... *poker face*

IMG_1146.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

That's PB Blaster.

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1154.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

I think what happened is the head gasket blew and the motor hydrolocked... Only explanation I can think of as to why cylinder 3 is so messed up. The head cleaned up easily, with a wipe of PB Blaster, and turns willingly. I think that head is perfect.

Question is, will this block ever be in a car again? Only reason we're hanging on to it at the moment is "because it's the engine that drove my grandfather around"... But it's not looking very good to me.

No amount of PB blaster or swearing and tapping on pistons would free the thing up. I don't even know if this motor is worth my time.

Rods are all intact. Could not get bearing caps off; didn't have the right socket on hand.

Comments are welcome.

The pits in cylinder wall most likely will run deeper than an oversized bore will clean up. At the minum you will need to do a bore to oversize and maybe get lucky, but those I have seen that were left set like that were not salvagable. After boring, pits were still there.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Depending on the overall condition of the block, it may be a candidate for cylinder sleeving. You would only have to sleeve the badly damaged cylinder. Korman has done it for me; I couldn't bear to lose my original motor on account of a little hydro-lock!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Depending on the overall condition of the block, it may be a candidate for cylinder sleeving. You would only have to sleeve the badly damaged cylinder. Korman has done it for me; I couldn't bear to lose my original motor on account of a little hydro-lock!

Steve

Hmm, I didn't know these engines could be sleeved. Wouldn't that make the displacement smaller, or would the defective bore be hollowed out and a 2.0 sleeve pressed in?

Upon further inspection of my pictures,

comeloose.jpg

does that look like the wrist pin came loose to anyone else? That would account for the "snap" my dad heard... and maybe it dug into the bore so that the engine cannot turn.

They drill out the cylinder "way oversize," insert a new "sleeve" of metal approximately 3/8" thick, plane the block's deck flat, and bore the sleeve to whatever size you need to match your pistons. If you sleeved all 4 cylinders you could theoretically return to standard size but I'm not certain that such sleeving is commonly, or ever, done. I believe you sleeve a cylinder (or maybe even two) because you need to retain a numbers-matching engine, as was the case with my car.

Looking at your other cylinder bores, I would suspect that you might need to go to oversize pistons by the time you cleaned up the other 3 cylinders. That oversize would dictate the bore of the sleeve.

Steve