• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The mystery of the frozen M10

I don't think I'll be rebuilding this motor based on the condition it is in. It's numbers match to this old friend,

2002Disassembly013.jpg. She's getting parted out and sent to the grave in the sky this summer unfortunately. A sad end to a car we've owned since 78.

Many of it's parts live on in the malaga, however. It's guts were switched to that body. 0227121532.jpg

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason to try and save a block in that kind of shape would be because it was the original block to a rare car (Ti, Alpina, turbo, or maybe a Tii) the cost to sleeve that block far exciedes the cost of buying a "GOOD" used block and having it cleaned, inspected,bored and ready to go.

If it has emotional value to you because it was your grandfather's then you are the only one in the world that can put a price on it, it is worth TO YOU what ever you are willing to spend on it. Personally I would never sleeve a M10 block unless the resail value of the car would be significantly reduced because the chassis and engine number did not match. You can find good used blocks for so little money it just does not make sense ($$$$)

If you have a factory turbo or a original Alpina car then the difference in value because of a non original block in the chassis could be multiple thousands of $$$. If you have a Tii it might be a thousand or so. A 74 US 2002 automatic my guess would be not 1 person in 20 would even look to see if they matched. In these cases spending $1500-2000 to save a turbo block might make sense, you might break even on the Tii but it just does not make any sense on the '74 at all.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Well, for what it's worth the 74 Automatic block is alive and well in the malaga. (matching 4282899)... But that car has the manual from the Polaris now. That engine has 154 PSI on all cylinders... Not bad for a never been rebuilt 175,000 mile engine.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but what's worth saving from this engine? We're gonna get rid of it. I was thinking: head, timing covers (both have never been machined), crankshaft, rods, manifolds of course... anything else? oil pan....

Was gonna try to do a core exchange at the junkyard for a good 320i block to replace it if I ever need it.

I would take it as far apart as you can. Then I'd beat the heck out of the pistons till they came out. Put the bock in the corner and when your friends come over you can point to it and tell stories.

Keep all parts from this motor.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Thanks! Those pistons don't want to budge... I wailed on them with the stick of a sledgehammer and it yielded nothing. Should i take the crankshaft out and then do that? It looks like the front 2 pistons would move willingly.

Thanks! Those pistons don't want to budge... I wailed on them with the stick of a sledgehammer and it yielded nothing. Should i take the crankshaft out and then do that? It looks like the front 2 pistons would move willingly.

That would be a next step because with the postons connected to the crank, you are essentially trying to break all 4 free at the same time.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Won't repeatedly blowing on the crank damage the journals? The crank is in salvageable condition it would appear... this engine had never been touched before it blew up, so it's never been reground. It seems I could take the crank out and knock out the pistons using whatever force is necessary... the block is trash, anyway.