• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

another 02 sensor question..

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have posted something like this before.. I was SURE I emailed it to myself..but now can't find it, sorry guys. Anyways..

What is the reasoning is for having a heated vs non-heated sensor.. does having a heated one basically allow manufacturers to place it futher down the downpipe? I will be using headers in my m20 swap(probably MSDS or Ireland as they're short.. so they'll actually fit in the engine bay :).. and will therefore have to put an 02 sensor in my downpipe somewhere.

So

- do i need to use a heated sensor with headers?

- either way, how do I figure out how far down the downtube is 'optimal' placement?

thanks

Matt

ps sorry for the semi-repeat question; I promise I'll copy it out this time!

Guest Anonymous

downstream to exactly what was on the M20 before you pulled it. There is no difference in output between 2,3 and 4 wire sensors, BUT the EFI computer has been designed for only one type. Don't screw with it.

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

A heated (3-wire) O2 sensor allows the A/F reading to occur very quickly and more accurately.

Otherwise, you have to wait for the heat from the exhaust to raise the element to the approx.

temperature.

BTW, I've only started lurking again on Roadfly...and noticed the topics and the content

to be less interesting. That was only after someone directed me here. That explains

alot (thanks Rey74tii)

This is my set-up for the 02 sensor. It seems to work fine.

cheers

jim s

sensor.jpg

Guest Anonymous

It's for emissions. When the O2 sensor can get to temp faster, it allows the engine to run in closed loop sooner, thus being able to adjust the fuel/air mixture reducing the emisions.