• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poor design or...

bnam

---messed up wiring?

I recently realized that the reverse lights on my car come on when the tranny is in reverse -- even when the ignition is off. Is that by design?

I drove my car to work this week and left the car in reverse as I pulled back into a parking slot and left it like that without realizing I was still in reverse.

Luckily I had a new battery and when I started the car in the evening it started right up. When I got home I noticed that the left side reverse light had burnt out.

So tonight I removed the lens to replace the bulb. I found that the plastic above the bulb had melted and is now fused to the bulb. @&%^%

Looking up the wiring diagram -- the reverse light and the horn are connected to Fuse 6 which is powered by the ignition switch. I would have expected this to be on only when the ignition is on. Apparently not -- or I have some miswiring near the ignition. Will have to check tomorrow.

Byas

Went through the wiring and found the culprit -- for reason I cannot yet fathom, the switched wire that is provided for the radio circuit (at the hazard switch) was spliced with an always powered circuit -- so it was feeding voltage backwards through the fuse (#6) and many circuits that should have been on switched voltage were always powered.

IMG_2061.jpg

Fixing this fixed the original problem. My wipers and flashers which used to work even when the ignition was off now only work when ignition is on.

Byas