• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

opening under battery tray

71bmr02

Does anyone know if there was a cover for the opening in the front firewall under the battery tray on a 71 02? the opeing appears to be factory by the rolled edges, however there are no holes that may have been screw hold downs. Cant imagine bmw left such an opening in the front body.

i checked realoem and nothing there

any help appreciated.

71bmr02

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

Are you talking about the large, irregular shaped opening in the nose?

I think there should be a curved piece of either metal or plastic that covers that area - not sure.

Here is my nose from a '71.

IMG_6981.jpg

Here is a picture of my '73 showing a black, curved cover in that corner.

IMG_5503.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

yes ,the large opening bottom left corner of the 71 nose picture. I can't find any reference to a cover. note the hole is smaller in the other picture (later nose).

any help locating a factore cover would be appreciated (assuming bmw made a cover the hole)

thanks for the reply

71bmr02

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

my 73 does...as do all the unmolested roundies that I've seen--at least the carbureted ones. Someone needs to chime in about tii's

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

for the upper left hole in the nose panel shown in Jim's picture. It is above & forward of the battery tray. It's attached to the nose panel with a screw, and shaped like a corner for the battery.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I guess a little clarification is required:

OP is asking about the lower opening below the battery which is the huge hole below the battery tray.

The smaller upper hole adjacent to the battery may have a black curved cover secured with a screw (as seen in my 2nd picture of my 73tii).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

and didn''t have a cover on my '70, 74tii or '76. If there is, indeed, a cover for that spot I'd like to see a photo and guess I need to find one!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Guest Anonymous

I think there are two different types. My 71 has an elongated r/l plastic type with mounting holes on either side. It has a rounded outside corner. I also have a spare (not sure what year) which is rectangular with just one mounting hole towards the radiator and a squared off left outside corner.

FYI Just purchased a BMW supplied white exide battery for a mini cooper that fits the battery tray peferfectly. I got two of them locally from a guy who decided they weren't what he needed for his E21. I'm saving the other one for my son-in-law p/n 61 21 7 591 081

Will try to get pics for covers and battery soon.

for the upper left hole in the nose panel shown in Jim's picture. It is above & forward of the battery tray. It's attached to the nose panel with a screw, and shaped like a corner for the battery.

That's what I've seen as well -- a cover for the upper hole, but yet to see a cover for the lower hole. My assumption was that the upper hole cover was to protect the battery terminals from water/moisture as the terminals were in close proximity, while the lower hole was under the battery and uncovered.

Byas

Hopefully Tom Jones will chime in. He's been around these cars since he was two years old. That would make this plastic cover for the opening right at his eye level.

I can't say I have ever seen a lower cover.

I have two slightly different versions of the upper cover in my parts bins.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I believe the hole is uncovered in stock form because there are no mounting holes for a cover. any ideas what closing the hole may do for air pressure or underhood temps? it would seem if the hole had engineering purpose, the location would be different and the opening would be shaped differently, perhaps like openings in the facia under the grill, behind the bumper or openings beside the headlights near the radiator. this opening just doesn't make sense.

so,what are opinions,close it or leave it open, and why

thanks

71bmr02

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)