• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upper Timing Cover Not Flush with Head

rlgMcoupe

I had my head decked with timing cover attached. It is not flush. The timing cover is ~1-2mm higher than the head. Is this going to be a problem, or should I just use rtv? I am not sure if these are supposed to be 100% even or not. Thanks.

Timing%2520cover%2520not%2520flush.JPG

Ryan

-------

'69 1600

That looks like the cover is 1-2mm LOWER than the head. Perhaps they took off more than they should? I would have them redo it. The lower portion between the cover and the block is a common spot for leaks. Looks like this would make it a nightmare. While your head is off, find another cover and make them redo it flush.

B

That looks like the cover is 1-2mm LOWER than the head. Perhaps they took off more than they should? I would have them redo it. The lower portion between the cover and the block is a common spot for leaks. Looks like this would make it a nightmare. While your head is off, find another cover and make them redo it flush.

B

YUP major LEAK

3421912 ask john

Red Baron a 74 sedanw/ dual webers ,spring,steins,bars. body shop for a full make over

Red Baroness a 71 1600 touring new to me and on the street in Limburg

Old Reliable a 93 318 m42's are soooo cool

Check this out:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,369880/highlight,/

they are supposed to have machined with the head did they (can they?) bolt it on upside down?

I put a raised bead of RTV on mine and left it to dry to form a rubbery raised ring. I also put a thin scrape under the head gasket in the same area. Not run it yet but it seemed to pull down OK.

Must point out this is planned to be temporary and will be replaced soon. It's worth a shot.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I had my upper timing cover done with the head and it fit correctly when I did a trial fit with the head off. When I installed the head, timing chain, upper timing cover it was a tiny bit high. I when I put the valve cover gasket on I used some RTV and it doesn't leak. I talked to the machine shop and we figured I could hand file it down if I wanted. For the price of a new upper timing cover gasket and your labor you could try a reinstall and see if you could get it flush.

Pete

I had my upper timing cover done with the head and it fit correctly when I did a trial fit with the head off. When I installed the head, timing chain, upper timing cover it was a tiny bit high. I when I put the valve cover gasket on I used some RTV and it doesn't leak. I talked to the machine shop and we figured I could hand file it down if I wanted. For the price of a new upper timing cover gasket and your labor you could try a reinstall and see if you could get it flush.

Pete

Pete,

I wonder if what you experienced is because the head bolts have enough force to compress the head gasket while the 2 little bolts on the cover don't have enough force to compress the gasket the same amount.

Instead, if the cover was first attached to the head before the head bolts were tightened down, and then then tighten head and cover together -- the parts should stay even then.

Just a guess...

Byas