• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats wrong with this picture?

smmorrissey

I may be a newbie to the FAQ's, but I'm reasonably sure that if I pull off the valve cover on my M10, all the rockers should line up with the intake valves....WTH??

I guess this is why it wasn't running real well....this is what happens when you buy at an auction..."Runs fine, daily driver..." Ha!!

Now I see there's antifreeze mixed in with the oil under the valve cover...probably don't want to know where that's coming from...

Oh well, guess my springtime will be spent rebuilding a motor instead of driving...

WP_0002132.jpg

Shawn

'69 1600-2 1567148 Caribe (project car), born 11/21/1968

'08 335xi coupe (for going real fast)

Find a rocker that isn't under compression by the cam and slide it over to see what the groove in the rocker shaft looks like. You can get the part number for the clip off realoem.com by looking in the archive section and order it from a list sponsor.

Ahlem

'76 2002

'90 M3

'90 535i 5 speed

'89 325is '91 318is

'87 325is

In case you didn't know, you * should* be able to push that rocker back (compressing spring in process), and slide a circlip in place on the other side of the dark ring to hold everything back in position.

But yeah, that doesn't fix the antifreeze issue, or anything else that is probably damaged elsewhere.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Thanks cd...that's where I thought you meant....I just snapped a couple of pics with my phone last night..I'll have to examine it more closely when I get home...here's a slightly different angle, but still can't tell if that is a loose piece of metal or what...it was clean under there for the most part (other than the anti freeze/oil mix...)

WP_0002122.jpg

Shawn

i believe that "chunk" is #21 below:

http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD13&mospid=47408&btnr=11_1188&hg=11&fg=25&hl=25

as stated, move the rocker towards the spring, and you will see a groove on the shaft, which is where circlip #22 would go. note that this diagram is from an e34, but it is the same config. this is a clearer pic. you may have to loosen the eccentric to get clearance.

Ken Inn

that thing the arrow is pointed to is

the push rod for the fuel pump!!!!!

get the circlip an try it to see if

it resolves the alignment concern.

check the oilpan by changing the oil

or just drain out a small amount to

see if water or oil comes out first.

good luck

post results

stone

stone racing co

phila pa 19123

Stone,

You are correct; I should have mentioned that this was on cylinder #1, so that would have been clear...

I did drain the oil, and found about a quart of antifreeze mixed in, so I know there's a problem lower down...hopefully just a gasket and not a cracked block...

Thanks!

Shawn

that's a 69c clip you're missing there.

But pic #2 also shows your cam starting to wipe...

t

Also worth noting... since the rocker pad has been running on the unground section of the cam (instead of the lobe), the pad has likely suffered some serious material loss...

Good luck with the repair. -KB

Finally got a chance to look at the problem again last night; removed the radiator so I could use my 30mm socket to rotate the pulley and take the pressure off...the circlip was still on the shaft, just no longer in the groove and under/inside the retaining ring for the rocker...can't really see if there's been a lot of wrong wear on the rocker arm contact point itself, but will have to get a better look..

Shawn

Tore apart the head over the weekend and here's some photos of what I found....does this look too trashed to bother with? It's a non-matching number block to start with, so I'm not that tied to it..but I'd rather be able to use it if possible...

http://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa345/smmorrissey/BMW%201600/Head%20teardown/

Shawn

I think this has been going on for a long time with this motor. Notice the corrosion pitts in the block by the steam cleaned number one cylinder. Probably a few head gaskets have tried to fix the problem. If it were mine and no one was looking I would check the head for straightness, check the block for straightness, get new head gasket and smother it with that spray copper head gasket sealer, bolt it together and cross my fingers (assuming you can get the rocker in the right spot and there is no significant damage).

WP_0002502.jpg

The right way is to start all over again. Maybe do what I said and find another motor to "build".

Good luck.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Thanks John, for the feedback...I might run the head past a buddy with a machine shop who works on big block Chevy's and see if he can check it out for flatness for me...

Shawn