• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help wiring speakers to Mono Becker Europa?

wegweiser

Hoping someone can provide a diagram of how I can wire 2 speakers to my mono (6 pin) Becker in the F Bomb. I'm electrically stupid. Can I just pigtail (graft) an extra of wire to each speaker from one + and one - output on the radio, or is there more to it? I'm looking for low frills speaker function, nothing pavement thumping. I;'m a visual person. Diagrams will help.

Thanks in advance Y'all!

Paul Wegweiser

post-2748-1366765720223_thumb.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

There is a splitter you can buy. Look at becker autosound usa. Not exactly sure how to split a single wire into 2, but I assume you could unwrap half the wire strands and rewrap

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

What's the impedance of the speakers you'll be using? And what impedance was the Becker designed to see? (probably 4 ohm, but just chkg) You could connect two 8 ohm speakers in parallel (to make 4 ohm), or two 4 ohm speakers in series (8 ohm), if it wants to see 4 ohms or greater. I think any little gadget you would buy to connect them in parallel, would have a resistor in it, maybe a 2 ohm, in series w/ a 2 ohm load, would give you a 4 ohm load --- I think. 8-)

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I saw this Becker fader control on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-70s-Blaupunkt-Becker-Stereo-Fader-2-In-4-Out-Porsche-BMW-Mercedes-/120874780705?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c24b2c821&vxp=mtr

You could probably find something similar (and cheaper) at an electronics store.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Shack or the like--then wire the speaker output wires from the radio to the fader, and leads to each speaker from the fader. That way you can increase the rear speaker's volume to complensate for its greater distance from the driver's ears.

Had that setup on the mono Blaupunkt in my Renault for many years. Works on a mono setup same as on stereo.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Just to clarity, I simply want 2 speakers, not four.

I did a quick test and simply plugged the (+) wires from BOTH speakers into the (+) speaker output on the back of the radio and did the same with both the (-) wires to the (-) speaker output. Sound came out. Smoke didn't. Should I be worried about future issues if I wire it this way?

They're two 4 Ohm speakers, small 6.5" ones. Didn't have an antenna plugged in, but I got sound so I think the radio still works. Got a bulb on the way (cause I DIG that weirdo green light on the Beckers!)

Absolutely no idea what the rating for these old Mono units is. No markings on the back or sides.

Thanks for the tips!

Paul

Paul Wegweiser

Just realized that the link I posted showed a fader for one of Becker's stereo radios (Stereo into 4 speakers) and not the Mono version (Mono into 2 Speakers). Becker makes both versions of the fader switch (stereo and Mono). You can find them installed in old Mercedes at the junk yards. Wiring it the way that Ben showed will work without any issues. You just can't set the balance between the two speakers.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I did a quick test and simply plugged the (+) wires from BOTH speakers into the (+) speaker output on the back of the radio and did the same with both the (-) wires to the (-) speaker output. Sound came out. Smoke didn't. Should I be worried about future issues if I wire it this way?

They're two 4 Ohm speakers, small 6.5" ones. Didn't have an antenna plugged in, but I got sound so I think the radio still works. Got a bulb on the way (cause I DIG that weirdo green light on the Beckers!)

Absolutely no idea what the rating for these old Mono units is. No markings on the back or sides.

Thanks for the tips!

Paul

The way you connected them, is called "parallel" which will take the average impedance of both speakers, and then devide by two, so you have a 2 ohm load on the radio right now, which most definitely wants to see at least 4 Ohms.

This won't blow the outputs or power supply immediately, just over a short period, and then it will start smoking.

It would be safer, to connect in "series":

Radio "-" out -> Speaker 1 "-"

Speaker 1 "+" -> speaker 2 "-"

Speaker 2 "+" -> Radio out "+"

You'll then have an 8 ohm load on the radio. The only reason it would be bad is if it didn't get loud enough for you.

Here's a simple diagram, showing 2 8 ohm speakers making a 16 ohm load:

connectingspeakerinseries.jpg

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Sislane - the more I think about it, the more I think you're suggestion makes sense. I've cruised the intranets for comparisons of series/parallel circuits and even info on the radio specs. It's not like it's any more difficult. Thanks for the info! Better safe than "Parts Wanted, good Becker Europa" posting later this summer. :-)

Thanks again!

Paul Wegweiser