• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amco Badge Bar on a 76

bluebmw

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was saying lower the bar...if possible. Your car looks great like it is. See the image above of adawil2002 car, that bar seems to come up to the bottom of the Kidney not splitting it as it appears on your car. Maybe it is just the odd lens distortion of his photo, but it seems way lower. I saw a guy at the Vintage last year that had one that was a modified version that he attached his fogs to...that looked awesome and I had hoped I could take my Amco bar and do the same...can't do it. I will try to find a pic to show you what I'm talking about. Think that bar came from a supplier in the Uk, but I may be wrong.

'76 2002 A "camo blue"

'73 2002 A Chamonix

'71 Airstream Globetrotter

'72 2002 A Verona-crashed then stolen

2007 Toyota FJ

Your front bumper seems to be sitting higher than Vern's. Plus he has the Fog lights & early chrome grills to blend it in. The bar on your 02 just plain looks awkward. You can always take it off and plug the holes on the bumper.

Any ideas how it could be higher if I used the stock mounting points and the bumper looks level? I have a feeling it's just the angle at which Andrew took his picture.

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock

Check you motor vehicle law, you may be able to remove the plate, just keep it in the car just in case. Maine requires a front plate too.

Can mount the plate to the bar with plastic coated plumbing clamps.

Could you send me a picture (with a ruler) or measure the gap between bumper and bar and report back? That would be super helpful!

Any ideas how it could be higher if I used the stock mounting points and the bumper looks level? I have a feeling it's just the angle at which Andrew took his picture.

If you used the stock mounting points for your aluminum North American bumpers, they are raised to meet North American bumper height regulations. The actual mounts for the early/Euro bumpers are actually below the NA mounts. When you mount the early/Euro bumpers as they're intended on a NA car, you have to slot the nose to accomodate the stck mounting bracket. It's alot of work to do it the way it was originally designed on late Euro cars.

Here's a link to Keiths late car that went thru the conversion.

http://www.my2002tii.com/mar2003/marchpart2.htm

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

I think it's a unique look. If you like it, keep it.

Here's an image from a 1970s Hyde Park Motors catalog:

vintaccbumpguards.jpg

They were sold as protection, not as badge bars.

"Amco bumper guards: Crafted from the finest heavy gauge chromed steel tubing with machined end fittings. Amco bumper guards are a clean, simple design which combine protection and a custom finish for your BMW."

If you used the stock mounting points for your aluminum North American bumpers, they are raised to meet North American bumper height regulations. The actual mounts for the early/Euro bumpers are actually below the NA mounts. When you mount the early/Euro bumpers as they're intended on a NA car, you have to slot the nose to accomodate the stck mounting bracket. It's alot of work to do it the way it was originally designed on late Euro cars.

Here's a link to Keith late car that went thru the conversion.

http://www.my2002tii.com/mar2003/marchpart2.htm

That's a good point, I didn't think about that. I don't know if that is the solution though. I used the correct hole to mount the bumper on the fender, and the bumper sits level. Any idea how much of a difference there is between the euro and US mounting points?

Could you send me a picture (with a ruler) or measure the gap between bumper and bar and report back? That would be super helpful!

Here are the photos with a yard stick, measurements are from the ground.

post-18474-13667657364992_thumb.jpg

post-18474-13667657367417_thumb.jpg

post-18474-13667657369553_thumb.jpg

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40