• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your MPG

Beck180

What MPG do you get in your 02?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What MPG do you get in your 02?

• Less than 12
    • 13 - 17
    • 18 - 22
    • 23 - 27
    • 28 - 32
    • More than 32

I get 21mpg mixed

70% highway 30%city all very spirited

M20 with motoronic and performance chip

2.5 magnaflow exhaust

IE headers

195/50/15 tires

Kamei Front Air dam (i don't know if this makes a difference or not)

72 2002 w/m20 conversion

03 325I

98 Range Rover

I was getting 30-31 highway(65, 3800rpm?) with a mostly stock motor and slightly rich 38/38, air dam, 3-fan, electronic ignition, eibach lowering springs(height), IE header/exhaust, 4spd, stock 3.64 diff, and 195/60R14's on basket weaves with two people and 100-200lbs of stuff.

I'm shooting for 35+ with MSII, a 5spd, BBS RMs, and 3.91 as the major changes.

I don't know about the city MPG, my odo doesn't work so I did the highway calculated based on the 1500+ mile trip I took last summer using google earth to calculate the route distances and checking how much I stuck in the tank each time.

FYI, I don't understand how, but I was getting 26 highway before the e-fan/air dam/electronic ignition changes(all at once). Not sure how those gave me 4-5mpg, but 30-31 is what I'm at now.

Edit: I also had a Tii dist and 9.5:1 compression, just trying to name everything which could affect my MPG.

I get about 18-22 in my 1974 2002tii. It has a basically stock tii engine using Pertronix and the stock vacuum advance distributor that came standard on the '74 tiis. Has the standard 4 speed transmission running a 3.91 LSD rear end. Stock tii exhaust (made by Eberspacher). Swapped out the original speedo for a W=1.393 which reads accurately with the 3.91 diff. I don't do very much long distance freeway driving anymore, so really like the 3.91 setup with the 4 speed. It's a great mountain road driver.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

With my single barrel Solex I was getting 21-22 mixed driving.

With Megasquirt, driving the exact same route, I get 29.

'69 2002

'59 MGA

'67 Chevy C20

“Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.” - Mark Twain

'73tii with 5 speed & LSD. New stock exhaust. New linkage to the throttle.

I've only checked mpg on hwy trips which I have taken 3 long distance trips. Drove 70-90 mph (averaging 82 mph) and got 30 mpg on all 3 trips.

I don't check it locally cause my odometer doesn't work. I used GPS on the long trips so I knew what my mileage was.

Doug

'73 tii Atlantik

pretty bad actually, probably about 15 (stock set up in a '76).

But that's city driving in Chicago, where I spend 85% of the time in 1st or 2nd -- and, of course, neutral.

When I get to go over 35 mph, I usually drive at around 4000 rpm to hear the motor. That doesn't help either.

Hugh

hnichols