• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: E30 / e36 4 door for the Wife and Baby

Colin

I would recommend a late model plastic bumper E30 (89-91). You'll find that 4 door plastic bumper E30 sedan's with a 5 speed are very rare. Exception is the 91 E30 318i and all 91 E30 with a M42 motor came standard with a 5 speed. E36 interior's are cheap and after nearly 20 years, the headliner and door panels have seen better days. E30's are built much better, you can tell accountants had their say with what materials went into the E36 interior.

Recommend joining the NorCal E30 forum and place a WTB ad.

http://forum.norcale30.com/index.php

Also look in Craigslist outside the Bay area. In 2007, I found a 89 4 door 325i 5 speed in Fresno with an extensive stack of records for $1.5K to include a $3K paint job. It had been for sale nearly a month, nobody wanted a 5 speed. If that same car had been for sale in the SF Bay or LA area, it would have been gone in a day or two. Too bad I totaled that car, I miss that one.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Hey Colin,

Congrats on soon being a father. IT's unreal what they do to your live, but I've never learned to enjoy so much w/them in your life.

My wife and I have an 89 e30 ix that we've have from her family for many years. Our kids are now 6.5 and 4.5 and it can be challenging getting them in and out of the car. When they are babies you're best bet is w/a graco type carrier, but understand that you can't have the front seats all the way back.

Keep in mind that they don't have as much room inside to 'haul' kids stuff as some newer cars. By today's standards, it's a little cramped. If you are ok being a 'tight close' family then you'll be ok.

It's gotten better since the kids have moved to just the booster type seats, but it's still a little tight.

My wife and I LOVE the ix almost as much as the 02 so it will be around for a long time, but we realize that sometimes it's not the best family car.

I'd be happy to help w/whatever you might ask for this stuff.

For what it's worth...

Dave

ps.

whatever you do, keep doing the car stuff; don't 'give it up' b/c you have kids. Kids LOVE IT!!! it's tough when they are really small, but when they get a little older its a blast that you'll never forget!!!

Pittsburgh, PA

67.5 Datsun Roadster

72 2002 Colorado

89 325ix

99 318ti

04 x5 3.0

if buying for wife and baby, recommend NOT getting an e30.

safety...safety...safety...safety...

e36's were designed with more safety features. belt pretensioners, airbags, better brakes, better crush zones, etc, etc, etc. .

not to mention they are bigger and have more room for baby stuff, easier access to back seat, etc.

in fact, if i were you i would be looking at e46's. side airbags, traction control, baby seat anchors, etc.

it's your family..don't cut corners.

ymmv, but my wife drives an e46 325it.

2xM3