• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Smoke from Exhaust when driving at high speeds - Dead motor?

1971Ginger

I actually rebuilt my head, it helps with the smoke a lot but I still got a little at high rpms (3.5to 4k rpm) and that's probably the piston rings.

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.

find where youare down on fluid Collant, brake fluid or oil

Yeah, what are you losing?

A quart every 1000 miles of oil's considered normal,

anything else (water, brake fluid) isn't.

A really poorly adjusted (sunk float, for example) carb can do this too.

Smoke by itself's not an indicator of a failed longblock-

there are other things you need to rule out.

Hopefully, it's a brake master- of everything, that's easiest and cheapest to fix!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 6 years later...

Contributing to this topic.  Same situation happened to me today.  White smoke only in higher RPMs...

I realized that after 55-60 mph white smoke appeared noticeably in the rearview mirror.  Smoke dissapeared when speed dropped or idle.

Checking later with my mechanic, he told me that everything in the engine bay seemed normal.  Then we found one broken grommet at the MC and BF reservoir almost empty.

It makes sense that brake fluid has entered the combustion chamber through the brake booster.

Tomorrow I will test the car again...

UPDATE. Car tested. Engine runs well. No more white smoke, but still some blue smoke over 80 MPH. Maybe new valve stem guides will help.

Edited by michaelbend
UPDATE