• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You got to be kidding me...

Gordon

All this says to me is that the downward spiral has ended.

We are now officially a Nerf planet populated by a bunch of self righteous pussies that stand around and point at little 4 inch screens to perpetuate the things we want to happen. I don't even own a smart phone and have no intentions of owning one.

I need a drink after seeing that video...

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

All this says to me is that the downward spiral has ended.

We are now officially a Nerf planet populated by a bunch of self righteous pussies that stand around and point at little 4 inch screens to perpetuate the things we want to happen. I don't even own a smart phone and have no intentions of owning one.

I need a drink after seeing that video...

G-Man

If just one of our cars is protected from door dings, a crumpled fender, or crushed fog lights, then that technology was worth the development effort. As MAD02 points out, humans love distraction. Many people love distraction to the point that they're more motivated by the opportunity to be distracted than they are by opportunity to avoid future pain, suffering or embarrassment--all of which could easily result from being a poor driver. So it shouldn't be any surprise that some folks don't bother to learn how to drive, as their focus is on more immediate pleasures.

When I see a technology solution marketed to the masses, even if I think I would never, ever have a use for it myself, I thank the developers for recognizing an opportunity to solve a common problem that effects not just the buyer, but others who happen to be in the buyer's path. I would be much happier if everyone took driving as seriously as I do, and treated every drive as an opportunity to practice a super fun skill. But I'd be much more disillusioned and dismayed than I already am if I actually believed that something I could do would make that happen. I've tried yelling, screaming, honking my horn, throwing things out the window, driving recklessly, driving sedately, and physical threats. I seriously doubt that any of my efforts resulted in a poor driver reevaluating his/her situation, changing his/her priorities, and investing time and energy learning to be a better driver. New laws, increased fines, longer jail sentences, the threat of embarrassment on the internet--none of these have had any lasting effect on the rapid increase in self-induced driver distractions. I don't see this trend changing direction anytime soon. I eagerly welcome the age of the driverless car if it will make for more predictable behavior in the cars around me. I'm assuming, of course, that a robot car won't be too busy tweeting to use a turn signal, or to check to see whether I'm in the way before changing lanes. If I've got that wrong, then begun the robot wars have.

I wish the folks who made that technology the best of luck in selling it to every clown who would benefit from it. Anything to keep those boobs from banging up my car.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Until the first time you get another case of "unintended acceleration" whether due to some bdbh with too much peanut butter on their grubby little sausage fingers mashes the screen on their iphone 14, and runs over some old lady or baby in a stroller, or even the door of someone's 2002, let alone a motorcycle . Then they get sued into the last decade. Then we get some government intervention, and you won't be allowed to park your own car. Someone will have to be trained to do it for you. And I'll have to pay for it, and the 467 bureaucrats that need to supervise the program.

I ran out of foil. Sorry. Not a fan. We do need better driver education in this country though. Don't forget to support the BMWCCA and their Teen Survival school.

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD