• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk battery relocation questions

Where did you decide to bolt down your battery box/ hold downs?

I am in the process of installing my E30 parts and am debating on where to bolt mine down. I was thinking to put it off to the left maybe. I mean, a full tank of gas is going to weight at least 70lbs(gas tanks sits on the rt hand side).

Nick's Fleet:

1974 BMW 2002

2004 Ford Interceptor

1960s Schwinn Varsity

Passenger side is best to offset your weight. Room for two there. Just seal the holes you drill and use stainless hardware. I am also putting a bit cutoff switch in the trunk bulkhead with a removable key. Good for theft proofing and in case of a short somewhere. Nothing like a quick cutoff.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Passenger side is best to offset your weight. Room for two there. Just seal the holes you drill and use stainless hardware. I am also putting a bit cutoff switch in the trunk bulkhead with a removable key. Good for theft proofing and in case of a short somewhere. Nothing like a quick cutoff.

i suppose, but you got the gas tank on passenger side. Yes you have your own butt weighing on the DRIVER side, but you are supposed to have a passenger on the PASSENGER side. hehe

Nick's Fleet:

1974 BMW 2002

2004 Ford Interceptor

1960s Schwinn Varsity

If you go dry cell less weight and no need to vent explosive gasses

+10

do not put an unvented wet cell in the trunk. either use an AGM battery or run the vent line from the top of the battery out under the car.

cutoff switch good idea. get a good one. if you intend to use it as antitheft, when you kill power you will kill radio memory...so..put a jumper around the switch with a 10amp fuse. with switch off, radio works. try to start the car and the fuse blows imeditately. it works, i have tested it repeatedly...keep a box of fuses in the car......;-)

2xM3

This is a nascar approved sealed battery box with vent that I am using on the relocation in my 75, all wiring is from a 325. Fuse holders are for electric fuel pump and electric cooling fan.

Harry

post-15153-13667657690204_thumb.jpg

post-15153-13667657691026_thumb.jpg

post-15153-13667657691848_thumb.jpg

post-15153-13667657692703_thumb.jpg

1975 BMW 2002 Taiga

2000 BMW M Roadster evergreen

If you go dry cell less weight and no need to vent explosive gasses

+10

do not put an unvented wet cell in the trunk. either use an AGM battery or run the vent line from the top of the battery out under the car.

cutoff switch good idea. get a good one. if you intend to use it as antitheft, when you kill power you will kill radio memory...so..put a jumper around the switch with a 10amp fuse. with switch off, radio works. try to start the car and the fuse blows imeditately. it works, i have tested it repeatedly...keep a box of fuses in the car......;-)

Thanks Marshall,

Great idea on the fuse for the radio. Losing the memory never occurred to me. That can get old fast. I saw some cheapies but I am getting the Moroso switch shown here. It looks beefy enough and has a removable key for $37.

Mike

post-19339-1366765770106_thumb.jpg

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

blue sea systems.... offer great cutoffs .......that have terminals for non-cutoff low load applications

Good idea on the Blue Marine stuff. I ordered this one and an extra key. didn't see the terminals for the low load stuff though. This one takes 300Amps continuous. I'll just use Marshall's idea with the 10amp fuse for the memory issue. This switch also has plastic covers for three sides of the back if you use this on the positive side. Little bigger mounting hole required(2 3/8")but I like the ruggedness of the switch. I am going to use this on the negative side so I don't have to worry about anything shorting to it.

post-19339-13667657748556_thumb.gif

post-19339-13667657749046_thumb.gif

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318