• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bleeding Timing Chain Tensioner

Simeon

Followed the instructions given at:

http://2002tii.org/?s=timing+chain+tensioner&search=Search

Anyway the instructions talk about the tensioner becoming hard to move. Mine gets 'firm' but I would not call it rigid. To be fair it feels like it supports the chain but then I can hardly simulate the forces involved when the thing is flying around at 6,500rpm! Does the pressure increase in this with oil pressure? I pumped it for what seemed like an inordinate amount of time before I got any pressure at all. Once it started passing oil from the threaded end, I tightened up but it didn't get much firmer after that.

I reused my piston but cleaned it up and got it rattling so I assume the pump action is working OK

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

When I bled the new piston I installed this weekend, I too pumped for a long time and it got firmer but pumpable. I poured some more oil down into that area and kept pumping and it got to the point where I could not pump it any more. I think it needs to get that firm.

Guest Anonymous

I think you guys are over-worrying about this - pump it a few times until oil comes out the threaded, cap end, and you're done - you just want to get the air out and some oil in.

Yeah, Bill's right-

the initial bleed's just to get the engine running safely.

Once it's going, it'll slowly but surely pump the last bits of air out of itself.

It's an ingenious design....

...as long as you get most of the air out first.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks for the response Toby, I really appreciate all the help you have given me recently (you too Bill and Byas!).

Hoping to fire it up this weekend after too long off the road after stuffing the cam timing, buggering the exhaust valves and opening up a lot of 'cans of worm' and 'while-you-are-theres'

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

....... and as long as all the parts like the ball and special

washer/check valve are present and installed correctly per

my many postings of the diagram showing the internals ?

and that the parts are not worn, scratched, loose, sticking

and hold the oil in check.....................

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Now you come to mention it CD, I could not figure out how to open up the piston to check the insides. Condition wise it was excellent externally and after soaking in degreaser and spraying with WD40 it cleaned up and I could hear the ball rattling but I normally like to check other people's work and not take it for granted.

How does it open up? I tried unscrewing the end from the piston but was worried about vice damaging the piston sides.

rtheriaque wrote: