• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8mm bosch distributor cap

jtmasters68

Has anyone had the problem of 8mm plug wire ends (at the distributor) not fitting all the way down into the distributor towers? I had an 8mm set before and was able to get them to fit, but now I'm installing an Accel 8mm set from top end and cannot get the wires to push all the way down into the dizzy. I can get them in enough to make the electrical connection, but there's a gap between the boot and the top of the tower. The plug wire easily pops off, leading me to believe that the metal end is not fully seated in the metal part of the distributor post. I am sure this is in part due to the Bosch cap being designed for 7mm wired and not 8mm. Does anyone sell a Bosch dizzy cap enlarged for 8mm wires? My thought right now is to use a dremel tool and carefully enlarge the plastic part of the wholes, being careful not to get into the metal contact at the bottom. Any help is appreciated.

post-1443-13667657421785_thumb.jpg

"And The Dude abides"

74 2002 Inka (The Dude)

68 Zundapp ISDT Racer (original 350 miles)

87 BMW 735i (frozen motor)

79 VW Westphalia (for sale)

55 AJS 500cc Enduro Non-running Ekins bike

72 Yamaha XS2 (in many boxes)

Thanks, but I'm a little hesitant to do that for fear of accidentally flattening out one of the brass connectors. Plus, I think the problem may be that the wire itself, along with the big crimped connector that goes around the wire may just be too thick to snug down into the hole. Thanks for your suggestion.

"And The Dude abides"

74 2002 Inka (The Dude)

Guest Anonymous

the above suggestion is valid.

the slot on the brass fitting is there on purpose to squeeze or expand as needed. I put on some MSD wires yesterday and had the same fitment issue, squeezed it in just a small bit and blamoo, life is good, all fit in easily after the adjustment...

Try it you'll like it....

Guest Anonymous

also it helps to pull the boot back, seat the spark plug wire/brass fitting into it's proper place on the distributor, then slide the boot over

also it helps to pull the boot back, seat the spark plug wire/brass fitting into it's proper place on the distributor, then slide the boot over

Yes I think it may be seated but the boots are not moved down on the wire??

Scott B.

1969 2002, 1972 2002, 1967 1600, 2001 540It

Guest Anonymous

Yes I think it may be seated but the boots are not moved down on the wire??

You could be right. But, to me it looks like a combination of both..He says the wire is coming out easily...

At least by pulling the boot back he can address one fit at a time..

Then he can take his time loosening up those virgin boots, for a nice fit...pun intended

I didn't realize virgins would be my wrench buddies.

"And The Dude abides"

74 2002 Inka (The Dude)