• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Bumper End Questions

Dicks

I'm in the process of redoing my rear bumper as part of a $4000 make over that is exceeding $12,000...well, you know how it goes. I went to install the rear bumper and ran into an issue.

I had purchased off of eBay some NOS bumper ends for my '72. I had the center section rechromed. I also sprang for a new rubber rub strip, euopean covers to replace the horns, and all new hardware. When we went to install the new rubber rub strip, it turned out to be about 4-6 inches too long! And it's exactly the same length as my old one.

I'm suspecting that what I got off of eBay were not 2002 bumper ends, but rather 2002 Touring bumper ends....that just happen to be shorter. Any other explainations? What's the best approach now? Buy the shorter rubber rub strip for the Touring or find new ends.

I guess one question would be do the Touring bumper ends have the same mount points as the regular 2002? If they mount physically shorter, then I will be forced to go with some new ends.

Thanx for the advice.

BMWCCA #545

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado "Traumcycle"

2000 BMW 323Ci

I guess one question would be do the Touring bumper ends have the same mount points as the regular 2002? If they mount physically shorter, then I will be forced to go with some new ends.

Thanx for the advice.

The Touring bumper side fixing holes would not match to those on a sedan. They are probably spaced the same from the back of the rear wheel arch but would be too far forward from the back of the car.

The Touring o/all length is 4110mm and the sedan (pre '74 or Euro) is 4230mm, circa 4.75" difference and all at the rear. If you have Touring bumper rear sides, then your regular sedan rubber strip should be around 9.5" too long.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17