• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pls advice: 1600 or 2002 for restoration project ?

Cross

Hi, please advice:

I could use some guidance as I jump into the 2002 world.

I would like to embark on a project ...or two.

One is to fully restore a '69 1600.

Or find a 70~73 roundie and make my dream 02.

RoyW with his "TwoK2" 2002 is my idea of the perfectly modded 2002.

Since the 1600's have no value (correct me if I am wrong) it would be easier to justify the conversion. However, as I read through the thread 1600's may not have sway bar mounts. Makes me wonder what else is different? Perhaps the body is not as stiff as the 70~73's.

Or should i preserved a '69 1600 since the registry shows a low production run, compared to the 2002's?

Thank you

Confused ?!? 

......in search of my first 2002

As the owner of both, I can say that they are nearly identical by early 1971 -- the only major difference is the slight HP output on the engine and the mechanical clutch. If you want to heavily modify a car to your individual taste, please don't "destroy" an original car, no matter what the species. Second top tip is to buy a car that is already finished by someone else. The go-slow approach on two cars will burn you out of mind and cash.

--> 1968 2002 <--

It comes down to what you want in the end.

I've owned two of each. What I like about the earlier cars, like the 1600s is that they have less plastic and simpler, cleaner design, in my opinion.

The advantage of the later cars, is that BMW worked out a lot of the details. The wiring on the `74-`76 models is solid, and the `76 even has intermittent wipers. The later cars also have better seatbelts and the bodies are built a little stiffer, though they are a few pounds heavier because of it.

Since the 1600's have no value (correct me if I am wrong) it would be easier to justify the conversion

1600s are very valuable, though more so when kept completely original. Their rarity in the US supersedes the lower power and lesser suspension and brakes. However, if you're not ever planning on selling the car, you can swap subframes to 2002 suspension and brakes and have the older body with 2002 running gear. It really just depends on whether or not you plan on selling the car and/or how much of a purist you are or aren't.

So, if I were starting out in the 2002 world and wanted a solid driver, I'd pick up a `76 2002, unless I was in California, then I'd get a `75. Incidentally, I am on my fourth 02 and I have about twelve years of ownership under my belt, so my current car is a 1967 1600. It came to me as a running shell, so to speak, so I am continuing to modify it. It currently has 2002 suspension, vented E21/Volvo brakes up front, soon to have disks in the rear and an E30 M42 engine and 5speed. My goal is to keep the looks of the original (within reason) and upgrade the mechanics as much as possible, civilizing the car along the way.

I don't know if that helps or hinders, but I hope that it helps.

Antietam140.jpg

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Hmmm...I'm in the middle of fully restoring my 69 1600 and I love this thing. I had a 76' for 6 or 7 years and loved that, too, but not as much as this old roundie..:-). Personally, if the 1600 is numbers matching and all stock, I'd say keep it that way for rarity sake... mine did not have a matching engine, although it is a 1.6, so I bundled up the engine and I'm doing a 2L with 5 speed, but keeping the 4.10 rear for around town zip...hehe... other than that, I'm doing it back to as stock as I can reasonably do, original Manila, brown interior, etc.. plus I'll have the 1.6 engine if I ever feel guilty..;-)