• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am stumped...

bnam

The Flasher relay on my 74Tii has twice now popped off the mount (which grounds it) and the flasher stops working as a result. I suspect it is the vibration that's working the relay loose. How should this relay be properly mounted so that it does not come off? Any pictures?

Thx,

Byas

Ok, that's not it. It stopped working again on my way back home. It worked all the way till the gym. An hour later it did not work -- and this time reseating/fiddling with it did not help. The Hazard works fine. When I switch the turn signal either way -- the first time I hear a click at the relay and then nothing. Bad relay or something else?

Byas

Your flasher relay should work without it being clipped to the body--IIRC one of the wires is a brown ground wire... first, make sure all four turn signal bulbs are working (use your 4 way flashers)

Easy troubleshoot:

1. Unclip the flasher and carefully pry off the plastic cover, revealling the circuit board and two sets of relay points.

2. turn on ign, and select left or right turn with the signal lever

3. observe the two point sets--the large set works the outside lights, the small one the dash light; they work in opposition--one open, the other closed.

4. If they're not working, turn the ign off, clean the points and try again. If still no action, carefully bend the moveable contact until the relay works. Most of the time that cures the problem.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

As I note above, the 4-way hazard switch operates the flashers properly -- all four lamps light up as does the indicator on the instrument panel. I opened up the flasher relay and did discover that the mount was not a ground point. Whit the hazard on, the relay operates normally -- leading me to think that the relay is ok.

However, when I use the turn signal switch, the relay does not work -- so wondering if the problem is with the turn switch.

Byas

Your flasher relay should work without it being clipped to the body--IIRC one of the wires is a brown ground wire... first, make sure all four turn signal bulbs are working (use your 4 way flashers)

Easy troubleshoot:

1. Unclip the flasher and carefully pry off the plastic cover, revealling the circuit board and two sets of relay points.

2. turn on ign, and select left or right turn with the signal lever

3. observe the two point sets--the large set works the outside lights, the small one the dash light; they work in opposition--one open, the other closed.

4. If they're not working, turn the ign off, clean the points and try again. If still no action, carefully bend the moveable contact until the relay works. Most of the time that cures the problem.

cheers

mike

Tried to eliminate the turn signal switch as a problem: I unplugged the switch harness at the connector near the steering column. I then shorted between the power wire coming from the relay and the either of the wires running to the lamps -- no dice. Did not work. So went back to thinking it was (somehow) the flasher relay.

Tried a new relay. Same issue.

So, not the relay. Not the turn signal switch. COuld it be the hazard switch? The hazards work fine so I had initially eliminated the hazard switch as a problem. But, could the hazard switch somehow be a problem when using the turn signal? I'll need to dismantle th Behr console to disconnect the hazard switch and try again.

Any other thoughts?

Byas

Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Solved, BUT...

Took the console apart, unplugged the hazard. NO change. Plugged it back in. Then I tried the hazard again and it still worked. I realized the ign was off this time. Then realized that the hazard is designed to work with the ign off so probably had a separate power supply.

So, checked #6 fuse again. Looked good. But changed it anyway -- TA DA -- turn signals work. Put the old fuse back in. Still works. @#$@#$@#$%!!

Contact were not clean perhaps (I had cleaned them all just a while ago).

Now need to put my entire console, dash, steering, back in.

I am an idiot!

Byas