• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trick to getting piston out of clutch master cylinder?

MattL

After removing and rebuilding my pedal box, I noticed the grommet at the clutch master cylinder fluid inlet was cracked. Rather than risk having to go through this whole unpleasant process again, I figured I should rebuild the master. I just received the rebuild kit from Rock Auto, and I'm starting the dis-assembly. The circlip is out, along with the pushrod, but I don't know how to get the piston out. I don't see any way to grip the piston to pull it out. Any suggestions?

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs

Thanks, both of you. I wrapped it in a rag, gave it a few hard whacks on the concrete floor, and out the piston came. I do see some pitting in the form of a line of tiny dimples along the bottom wall of the cylinder. They're really very small. But Richard, I take it from your comment that no matter how small, they mean it's time to replace the whole show. Is that so?

MattL

Philadelphia 'Burbs

Very sound reasoning, Toby. Better to replace it now. Thanks.

Does it make sense to pay a premium for one brand over another? Or are they really pretty much the same?

MattL

Philadelphia 'Burbs

Thanks, Richard. I've ordered a new master cylinder and a slave cylinder to match.

Pull one thread and the sweater really starts to unravel!

MattL

Philadelphia 'Burbs