• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So what do you do that is non 02?

nbristow01

Just thought this would be a fun thread to get to know each other better. I have been a horologist for years. I have bought sold, restored many antique clocks and pocket watches. I have rebuild hundreds of movements over the years as well. Gotten really good at it. My buddy cuts gears and pinions when needed. I have had to fabricate many small parts on my Sherline lathe and mill. I tried using a jewels lathe but never was able to get good at it like needed. I started by buying old fusee pocket watches on Ebay, owned and repaired many from the 1650-1750 age. I had one in particular, CA 1650 or so, was supposed to be French but the Bridge cock was English, that was of interest. The craftsmanship was incredible. The watchmaker had even engraved the tiny screw heads! Also had the complicated joy of rebuilding a few triple fusee English Bracket Clocks...thank goodness for digital cameras is all I can say!!

What hobbies or things do you guys do!!

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I work professionally at a restoration shop north of Pittsburgh and get to do THIS and get paid for it.

Hope the link works!

repost link..no I am dying to see what it is!!

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

I get to build these.

It's a 1962 Ferrari 250GT Lusso motor. V12, 2 distributors, 3 Webers. This is the day I got it running. Yes. I peed my pants when it fired for the first time. Now I can buy a Ferrari T shirt and feel like I earned it.

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

I get to build these.

It's a 1962 Ferrari 250GT Lusso motor. V12, 2 distributors, 3 Webers. This is the day I got it running. Yes. I peed my pants when it fired for the first time. Now I can buy a Ferrari T shirt and feel like I earned it.

Wow!! ever heard of Bob Norwood? And Tim Taylor in Dallas area. I went to highschool with Tim and we rebuilt my MG Midget motor together. He an Bob just set a land speed recond in a 328. BB Chevy powerded. My nephew Wayne Potts helped build it. My other buddy has a 275 conv and 2 330 GTC's. Love them! I am envious!

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Leather tooling. Started in high school. My brother and I would make ladies purses and raffle them in my dad's bar. Largest project was a shotgun case. Have the tools yet but working leather at this altitude is not the best. It dries too fast and you can't get the texture in the work.

The pieces begin with bare, flat leather, no pattern, no nothing. Colors in the photo do not do justice to the pieces.

Besides that I retreat to my mountain cabin and do some big game hunting in the fall.

post-2748-13667657738738_thumb.jpg

post-2748-13667657739729_thumb.jpg

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

The names don't ring any bells for me. This motor (though simple in some ways) had me sweating bullets. Virtually NO technical info exists for building one of these, save a few club member published photocopied tuning tip paperbacks. I had to learn a little Italian, too. Here's another one of my builds. I'm responsible for the engine, engine bay, all new wiring, all mechanicals. It's now in the completion stages of a 6 figure (yes SIX) full nut and bolt restoration spanning 2 years at our shop.

When not tinkering with cars, I damage my hearing with old punk rock records, cook up good food, and paint/weld sculpture. (My degree is in Fine Arts but "Draw Tippy" hasn't panned out as a viable economic career path). I envy anyone with the skills required for woodworking. I'm good at bending nails, cutting things too short (twice!) and splitting wood with screws.

post-17424-13667657740552_thumb.jpg

post-17424-13667657741969_thumb.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

I build Hot Rods & restore classic cars , we have a comprehensive parts business too, I'm a toolmaker & Engineer by trade.

www.limeworksspeedshop.com is our web site.

Some pretty handy peeps on here :)

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

The names don't ring any bells for me. This motor (though simple in some ways) had me sweating bullets. Virtually NO technical info exists for building one of these, save a few club member published photocopied tuning tip paperbacks. I had to learn a little Italian, too. Here's another one of my builds. I'm responsible for the engine, engine bay, all new wiring, all mechanicals. It's now in the completion stages of a 6 figure (yes SIX) full nut and bolt restoration spanning 2 years at our shop.

When not tinkering with cars, I damage my hearing with old punk rock records, cook up good food, and paint/weld sculpture. (My degree is in Fine Arts but "Draw Tippy" hasn't panned out as a viable economic career path). I envy anyone with the skills required for woodworking. I'm good at bending nails, cutting things too short (twice!) and splitting wood with screws.

go to this link and call Tim Taylor, tell him Nick gave you his info. He will have ALL the info you need on this motor http://www.p4bynorwood.com/contact.htm

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Cool stuff LimeySteve! Someday I'll mess with some crusty old American V8 powered rod ...After I go off the deep end (the path to said deep end will contain a few Alfas and at least one old 911, and a 1275cc Mini). :-)

Thanks for the link and tip, Nick! I've had great / gracious assistance from the guys at RPM in Vermont as well.

Paul Wegweiser