• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So what do you do that is non 02?

nbristow01

Custom brakes for vintage motorcycles

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/dgfischer/Fishhead%20Big%20BRakes/?albumview=slideshow

1 in the process of being made

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/dgfischer/Randaaks%20330mm/?albumview=slideshow

Hydraulic clutches, oil coolers and misc. other machining and motorcycle stuff

Fishhead

----------------------

Motorcycle Big Brake systems

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I envy anyone with the skills required for woodworking. I'm good at bending nails, cutting things too short (twice!) and splitting wood with screws.

Construction and renovation is my main hobby. Here's a period style boathouse that I built 3 years ago from the ground up at my cottage (built in 1910, that I totally gutted and renovated in the 10 previous years):

e01jfc.jpg

House restoration and custom cabinetry. Spent the last 6, going on 7 years restoring our c.1780 home inside, out, up, down and sideways and adding a garage. Vernacular Maine layout, big house, little house, back house, barn, all attached. Took 5 years to paint the exterior (May-October).

Very cool! I had the opportunity, on the show, to work on an original Greene and Greene house that they used to live in....beautiful woodwork! If I lived anywhere other than LA, I'd probably still be building custom homes... Hopefully, I get to run into some of you guys to talk wood working shop and 02's! Very cool.

I have been a musician for many years, mostly in punk bands when I was young. Now I play in a 60-s era surf style band called The Brigantines on the side for fun. Kinda like The Ventures or something.... The bassist owns an 83 633csi and we work on the cars in addition to the band.

If you guys want to hear the stuff we have free downloads at our website www.thebrigantines.com

I also work for Bang & Olufsen and collect vintage audio equipment a little, and that's about it

Great thread idea OP

12 BMW 135i + 76 BMW 2002

Work-

Medical equipment repair. It pays the bills and gives us a bit of extra cash, but physically and mentally draining after 20 plus years. It's become more about numbers/money/regulations than it is about fixing stuff. I'm ready for a total change in direction.

Fun-

Bicycling- road riding, tandems, and an rare trip to the velodrome when I am feeling strong.

Driving- I attend and also put on a vintage rally for the older car group. I teach with the BMW club at the Car Control Clinics and Street Survival. I also drive/work for the Amgen Tour of California.

Wrenching- rebuilding the M3, maintaining our local fleet, and bicycle mechanical work. Learned how to build my own wheels from Ric Hjertberg. (Wish I could have a career that paid enough in this field.) I'm also Mr Fix-it for the high school band. Last two projects were a Yamaha keyboard and a Capitol Presidential BINGO console and flashboard.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

House restoration and custom cabinetry. Spent the last 6, going on 7 years restoring our c.1780 home inside, out, up, down and sideways and adding a garage. Vernacular Maine layout, big house, little house, back house, barn, all attached. Took 5 years to paint the exterior (May-October).

Lovely work!

Here's a kitchen I built:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.208701449218116.53622.100002347873333&type=3

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.208701449218116.53622.100002347873333&type=3&l=5a595be468

1970 Nevada 2002 Survivor

1975 Golf 2002 Project

1972 Atlantik 2002tii

That boat house is beautiful...Canadian flag, eh? Looks like Lake George, NY

Nice kitchen, you made the raised panels too?

Here're links to 'The Elegant Dump' as I call it.

Hope they work...

Exterior

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1041774297852.8121.1630421908&type=3&l=1a05ad2c3c

Interior

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1043677785438.8396.1630421908&type=3&l=136d4c3c0f

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Links didn't work for me, Andrew.

That kitchen is amazing!

Cheers,

Ray

Think the links are fixed.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Andrew, Brent and all others here who have the patience to work with wood get praises from me. My dad has been building things since he was a kid and now has amazing pieces such as high-boys, Queen Anne chairs, kitchen cabinets, butler tables, pencil post beds, mirrors, stereo cabinets, corner cabinets, etc. Sadly, I cannot even build a good square box. That's why I stick with mechanical work.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Guest Anonymous
Just thought this would be a fun thread to get to know each other better. I have been a horologist for years. I have bought sold, restored many antique clocks and pocket watches. I have rebuild hundreds of movements over the years as well. Gotten really good at it. My buddy cuts gears and pinions when needed. I have had to fabricate many small parts on my Sherline lathe and mill. I tried using a jewels lathe but never was able to get good at it like needed. I started by buying old fusee pocket watches on Ebay, owned and repaired many from the 1650-1750 age. I had one in particular, CA 1650 or so, was supposed to be French but the Bridge cock was English, that was of interest. The craftsmanship was incredible. The watchmaker had even engraved the tiny screw heads! Also had the complicated joy of rebuilding a few triple fusee English Bracket Clocks...thank goodness for digital cameras is all I can say!!

What hobbies or things do you guys do!!

Frenchie started a similar thread with ~300 replies. http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,352290/

Thanks Andrew. It would appear we share the same passion of restoring old homes. Great job you've done on your 18th century marvel!

Let me guess, your favourite TV show must be This Old House? I've been watching that show religiously since it first aired in 1979.

BTW: My cottage is located on Lake Muskoka, which is just under a 2 hour drive from Toronto. I framed the boathouse in full dimensional lumber that I had custom milled in pine to be period correct to the cottage, a detail that I am sure you would appreciate.

You guys that do carpentry are pretty amazing. That's right up there with good bodywork and paint in my mind. Artistry. I'm just not capable.

In order to pay the bills - I'm a Petroleum Engineer. Specifically - I complete oil and gas wells. It's been described before as "a high dollar finishing plumber" - which is pretty accurate.

When I'm not working on the 2002 (which is lately) - I'm doing other mechanical related projects.

The Porsche just went to paint:

DSC00193.jpg

The Mini is getting finished while the Porsche is gone:

DSC00198.jpg

and the Bultaco is waiting in the wings:

DSC00166.jpg

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Thanks Andrew. It would appear we share the same passion of restoring old homes. Great job you've done on your 18th century marvel!

Let me guess, your favourite TV show must be This Old House? I've been watching that show religiously since it first aired in 1979.

BTW: My cottage is located on Lake Muskoka, which is just under a 2 hour drive from Toronto. I framed the boathouse in full dimensional lumber that I had custom milled in pine to be period correct to the cottage, a detail that I am sure you would appreciate.

Our chimney & firebox rebuilds were built by a 'chimney sweep' mason, Rich Hartford, who worked in the 1st This Old House, used to watch it, not so much anymore.

I'm all about details. What some call OCD, I call attention to detail. All carpenters make mistakes, the good ones know how to make it look it was done on purpose.

Please tell me you have a mahogany Hacker, Garwood or Chris Craft in that boathouse.

We drove through Algonquin Park and stayed in Parry Sound when we drove Vern home from Colorado. Lovely area, similar to where I live.

Andrew Wilson

You guys that do carpentry are pretty amazing. That's right up there with good bodywork and paint in my mind. Artistry. I'm just not capable.

In order to pay the bills - I'm a Petroleum Engineer. Specifically - I complete oil and gas wells. It's been described before as "a high dollar finishing plumber" - which is pretty accurate.

When I'm not working on the 2002 (which is lately) - I'm doing other mechanical related projects.

The Porsche just went to paint:

DSC00193.jpg

The Mini is getting finished while the Porsche is gone:

DSC00198.jpg

and the Bultaco is waiting in the wings:

DSC00166.jpg

LOVE that Porche..930? I don't know a lot about them but it's pretty

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat