• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 speed conversion - speedometer problems

duckdudess

Speedometer calibration is based on the diff ratio matched with a corresponding speedo gear ratio which is stamped at the back of the speedo. To achieve a more acurate speedometer reading you will need to change the speedometer to match the diff.

Search is your friend.

something to consider, '76 cars were equipped with 3.9 diffs and corresponding speedos...which were inaccurate due to the face of the speedo sitting with a different orientation, some had recalled overlays put on. While it might be cheaper to find a correct geared speedo than to recalibrate it, you might not be any better off on the accuracy of the readout due to the face orientation.

Something like this. I'm sure I'll be corrected on the specifics

Food for thought...

Daron

I wonder if they have the "silver dollar" speedos? I checked their website and it wasn't obvious. I'd like to keep the cluster looking original, if possible. Will also check the recalibration guys in California. Thanks everyone for the tips.

Yep,

That's a common mistake. Some of the guys here making exagerated mileage claims along wildly optimistic acceleration and speed claims have just such set-up.

3.64/3.90 = .93 So your speedo reads 7% too high with perhaps a 2-3%speedo error, this could easily translate to 10%. I once installed a 2002 speedo calibrated for a 3.64 diff, on to a 1600 with a 4.11 diff. There was a huge optimistic speedo rating 3.64/4.11 = .89 or 11% too optimistic.

Pierre - Mathematicus, you can check my math if you're out there and watching.

Slavs

• 9 years later...
1 hour ago, David Layton said:

Is it possible to pull a gear from the 76 to make the earlier speedometer a W=3.9?

Possible, but the speed will be off because the needle is calibrated with a spring setting and the revolutions of the cable per mile. That's what the w number means.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Or you can do this - retain your original Speedo with the below which converts for you (no calibration of your speedo needed) and have the cable cut to the length you need to the box - +1 for Palo Alto - they can do it and are awesome.

https://www.speedhut.com/ecommerce/product/2585/SpeedBox™-GPS-VSS-to-Mechanical-Drive-Speed-Converter

• Thanks 1

1973 2002tii Taiga

1969 2002 Chamonix