• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for the well-versed Kugelfischer guys...

wegweiser

I'm uncomfortable with the contact between the fuel return hose and the #1 plastic intake runner on the F Bomb. I'd love to put a 90 degree banjo fitting in place of the NLA checkvalve on the rear of the injection pump to avoid the clearance issue.

Any idea just how essential this valve is? Why it's needed for fuel RETURN?

Hrm...maybe I could install the banjo (non checkvalve) fitting in the back of the pump and put the checkvalve "in line" at a bulkhead with some suitable adapters...

Thoughts and experiences anyone?

Thanks!

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Well versed - NO. Tinkerer - YES.

Paul - it appears the entire top of the KF pump is hollow. The pressure maintenance valve has a piston to maintain the pressure inside the pump head.

IMG_5435.jpg

I wouldn't mess with it by removing it and replacing it with an external fuel pressure regulator.

I've gotten used to removing the valve each time I have to R&R the aluminum runner for # 1. Your plastic tubes might allow more "forgiveness".

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

It's essential. I would call one of the pros to discuss options. Maybe Wes Ingram or Gus Pfister. Sure you have the #1 pipe fully seated on the intake manifold & plenum? Plenum located correctly? Maybe add a few pics?

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

I assumed it was essential and I trust/believe in BMWs engineering here for sure. The K'Fischer is an elegant device to be treated with utmost respect. I've tried seven ways from Sunday to mount the manifold/runners/plenum in such a way as to allow more room. Runners are all fully seated yet hose is in constant contact with #1 plastic runner. I've even toyed with the idea of using a heat gun to add a slight (2-3mm?) indent on the runner but that would seem sinful and would fill me with guilt.

Paul Wegweiser

Paul,

if you contact Hans at H&R fuel injection in Bohemia NY

he may have the part you are looking for.

he is my guru source for pumps.

his biggest client is bosch germany.

631 589 1600.

second to that you might find a bango

bolt and a threaded block to put the

valve in. a good machinist might find

it a nice challenge to make something

that looks oem. have him make a few

and i will buy some.

good luck

stone

stone racing co

phila pa 19123

Thanks all...and Chris - I totally know Hans at H&R! My fear is that after only a year of use and a few (8?) thousand miles, the return hose is already showing signs of slight damage/wear from contact with the intake pipe. Yes....it's a factory BMW Genuine 8x13 fuel hose. I swear by real BMW for fuelie stuff.

I could probably fabricate a bulkhead fitting hidden on the firewall behind/below the air intake snorkel that would accommodate the press relief valve. I've been offered some spare intake runners so I might try gentle 'indent" in Nr 1 to clear the hose, first. I'd like to keep it as stock/orig as possible. That's a first for me! ;-)

Paul Wegweiser

The clip is missing (the wire "UU" shaped one I assume you mean) , but the contact occurs AT the return port 1.25" tube about .25" from the hose clamp. Can't even INSTALL the hose with the runner in place, so a clip wouldn't eliminate the issue.

Thanks for the input y'all!

Paul Wegweiser

O.P., do you have the right runners for your car? I read something somewhere about 6 cylinder runners working on these...they're longer and perhaps that would cause the issue.

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

I'm missing that clip also, but I have a bag of new ones like it in my stash. I'll clamp it in for originality sake, but it's not the cure for my problem unfortunately.

My car has the early PLASTIC runners, not used on 6 cylinder cars.

Paul Wegweiser

The UU wire clip can be fabricated easily from some bailing wire. It at least fills the void until you can find an original.

You should have titled your thread- "Mind the Gap"

Yes. It's really tight. The fabric covered hoses (VW style) seem to be a touch smaller in diameter. That would have been stock on the car back in the day, but even then, it does touch.

I picked up an extra press reg valve/fitting and may consider heating and putting a slight bend in just the nipple. One or two millimeters could make all the difference here. It would then be a matter of having the valve screw in and stop with the correct orientation.

Let us know if you use the heat and plastic runner solution.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes