• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rocker Moldings - Stainless + Clearcoat?

I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel on my restoration project and decided to reuse the stainless rocker moldings as they were in good shape. After cleaning them up with some lacquer thinner I went over them with some low PSI soda and got into what looks like a thin layer of clearcoat.

I assumed these were just stainless but it looks like my 68 was coated either from new or by someone in the last 44 years. I went ahead and removed the coating and they look really nice underneath as is.

Question: did I muff up a factory protective coating and if so, any harm in shooting them with some rattlecan satin clear coat before re-installation?

Thanks,

-=Ben=-

--> 1968 2002 <--

+1 on above post....Doubt seriously that they would have coated a stainless part. There's always Mothers polish if ever necessary, but just polished is probably what was intended.

Kinda like the billet waist trim on my cs, I just keep it polished and carnuba waxed since the resto on them...fear of a dirty anodizing tank on one hand, or less than clear/perfect "plastic" coating on the other. And easily cleaned for a re-coat.

Also, when abraded (scratched, or ticked from sand and gravel), clearcoat will hold dirt and look that way as well.

My .02's worth. Hope you are well and see yoiu in May?

Dave V. in NC

Thanks Folks!

I'm trying to get the 68 finished for MidAmerica in Eureaka Springs in 30 days.

I am not planning to attend Vintage this year, falls on my daughter's Sunday birthday again but I have dreams for a quick down on Fri back on Sat afternoon. Too bad I'm 9 hours away.

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

stainless steel--at least they were on my Feb 69 production car. Never seen 'em coated with anything from the factory.

Looking forward to having you join the MidAmerica caravan out to Hermann on Thursday, then off to Eureka Springs on Friday morning. Jim & I need to set up a rendezvous for the Indy contingent to meet up with the Ohio contingent.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite