• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Dash?

repoman

I made the road trip with Justin to pick up his "new" 1974 2002, to help him inspect it prior to purchasing it. I noticed something odd about the dash, however, could not pinpoint it until looking at it several times. The PO had advertised it as, "crack free". To my surprise, it actually was! It appeared to be a slightly different texture/grain then what I had seen in the past, so I starting to suspect that maybe it had somehow been recovered. I could not find any evidence of this. It wasn't until about the tenth time staring at it, that it hit me why this dash look different. It did not have the stick shift pattern, nor any of the Lights, Lighter, Fan or Wiper Speed graphics on it. It did have the "Fasten Seat Belts" warning light on top. Is this a new factory dash or just a superb recovering job? I can have Justin post some pics if that will help.

The PO had the car for the past nine years, I am not sure if anyone was recovering the dashes back then, nor did he have it recovered or replaced during his ownership. I could tell that the front windshield was replaced at some time, maybe the dash was replaced then, however, again, not to his knowledge.

TIA

1974 2002 Verona & 1973 2002 Riviera

1982 320iA & 1983 320iS
2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L PSD Wife's

It could be a well installed dash cap from Just Dashes

http://www.justdashes.com/Products.htm

All JUST DASHES restored dash pads are of the utmost quality, using only state-of-the-art vinyl applied by skilled craftsmen. The most renown restorers in the country rely on JUST DASHES to create prize winning interiors for their customers. Forget covers, caps or even NOS dash pads which will eventually crack. Select only the best, a JUST DASHES restoration of your original dash pad. If you can't find your application here, please contact the experts at JUST DASHES!

Just Dashes doesn't make dash caps. Also, dash caps are molded plastic, which would be really easy to spot, right?

Anyway, if the previous owner had Just Dashes recover the dash, then you've got a quality product that wasn't cheap. Recovering a 2002 dashboard with Just Dashes is somewhere around $1200-1500, last I checked. It's possible that someone else did it and/or the vinyl was slightly different than the original design, but one thing is for certain: recovering a vinyl dash is not an inexpensive undertaking. Assuming the vinyl looks good, I would just enjoy it in all its crack-free glory.

Post some pictures and ye shall receive comments and opinions.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

It is definitely not a cheap cover or plastic, that would be obvious. If it has been recovered, it must be a great job as it would have to have been "shrink wrapped" on there. Here are some pics from the PO, I will have Justin send some better ones if needed

post-17583-13667657850537_thumb.jpg

post-17583-13667657852361_thumb.jpg

1982 320iA & 1983 320iS

Called Just Dashes....

One piece 2002 dash restoration is $1500 with an 8 week turnaround. I am going to go through the pile of receipts and see if I can find one from them...

1982 320iA & 1983 320iS

You can buy new ones for under 1500.00 from Maximillian last I checked. I stand corrected. I just checked with them an if you can believe it, they have actually come down in price and are now 991.00 and change. Never have seen the prices actually coming down in price. BTW Maximillian has changed their site.

You can buy new ones for under 1500.00 from Maximillian last I checked. I stand corrected. I just checked with them an if you can believe it, they have actually come down in price and are now 991.00 and change. Never have seen the prices actually coming down in price. BTW Maximillian has changed their site.

That's good to know...and in disbelief as well. Might have to pick one up for the next project!

I thought maybe their website was down when I checked the link last night

1982 320iA & 1983 320iS