• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fitting a stock air cleaner on a Weber 32/36 - a few ?s

malagalaga

My attempt to mate the air cleaner to the Redline carb piece was a little different, don't have the skills for an elegant solution but it's worked out well. I simply cut back the air cleaner base and used a section of U channel stock rubber to make a tight fitting gasket.

DSC_0378.JPG

It's been a few years, so this morning I replaced the gasket, reminded me I should repaint.

DSC_0380.JPG

I also use a rubber base for the air cleaner to rest on.

DSC_0381.JPG

I also purchased some rubber air cleaner mounts from a Mercedes that are a little stouter than the worm out ones that were on my air cleaner,

DSC_0383.JPG

I won't hesitate to show the poor paint job but maybe this post will encourage me to spruce it up w/ new paint. DSC_0384.JPG

Happy tinkering.

Eric

Edited by 7502
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, John76 said:

Do you have a P/N for the Mercedes rubber mounts?

pn 617 988 0111 

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mercedes-air-cleaner-mount-240d-300cd-300d-300sd-300td-6179880111-1?msclkid=582155e778131d43f91934e6c46a91df&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Mercedes Shopping 0&utm_term=4580290571324470&utm_content=Ad group %231

I also bought some washers at the hardware store that had rubber bonded to one side for securing the air cleaner to the mounts.  Holds good and tight.

Edited by 7502

Nice solution, Eric!  I pulled e21 rubber isolators off of a wrecking yard car.  I just pulled up the part number, but won't bother sharing it, since they are $18 each.  Yours are about the same price as the wrecking yard.

This inspired me to see if I could find new Subaru air cleaner wing nuts online and I did!  I am surprised at how cheap they are, considering they have that built in spinning rubber washer. 

https://parts.allamericansubaru.com/p/Subaru__DLGLGL10RSRX/Wing-Nut/49228145/16551AA010.html

16551AA010 Product Image

I really like being able to remove the housing without needing to reach for a wrench.  Although, I do keep a couple wrenches behind the relays, with magnets to hold them in place. :) Those are for the battery terminals.

IMG_0463.JPG

Tom

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have just read this entire thread again, for the 7th or 8th time... your skills and imagination are approaching legendary, Tom!

The most sincere and enthusiastic kudos!

Makes me want to dig out the air housing from my unmolested original 74 bin of parts and begin the stripping and sanding... and the engine's not even in the car yet!

• Thanks 1

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC